• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pricing A Few Banners??

Sven

I'm having a hard time with pricing banners. I'm doing 5 banners, full color print (black on yellow), very simple design ("FOR RENT" etc), all about 12'x2', which will be installed on awnings and light-boxes. I was going to use $6/SF. Part of me thinks that's too high for this job, the other part thinks it's too low. I'm in North-East Jersey if that helps at all (about 30m from NYC). Is this pricing low, high or reasonable??
-Thanks.

I should have added that it's a *!RUSH!* job.. as usual.

Last edited:
J

john1

If you have 5 to do, I would order a roll of big foot banner that already has hems and grommets in 24" yellow, some black vinyl and even at $4 psf on this amount your making good money. I get $7 on single sided printed banners and go down from there if they need multiples.

Should have about $.69 psf in banner (10 oz) using big foot banner roll (includes hems and grommets) and then your little bit in vinyl. Should be a good profit margin for ya.

I really like using 13 oz as a standard banner on jobs but 24" wide yellow in banner on the roll only comes in 10 oz i am seeing from big foot banner.

Sven

Have you sold banners before?
Of course I've sold banners. But some people seem to be charging as much as $11/SF others are charging $4 or less. I'm just trying to get a better feel for what the going rate is. I figure these should be priced on the lower side because of quantity and simplicity.. Also it's A *RUSH!* job-- as usual..

J

john1

Call around a few shops in your area, Ask about the same size and needed banner so all your quotes are comparable, add up the total amount from each shop together, divide that by how many shop quotes you got and that's your middle pricing for the job in your area.

Works well for me on things like this.

TheSnowman

I guess I wasn't trying to throw you under the bus...but if you've sold them before, I'm not sure why this is a "hard time". You would just price them the same as you always have...and if you feel like they deserve a better price because they ordered several (even though it's a rush) knock a little off.

It also sounds like you've already started on the job, so the quoting process was either a moot point, or you used your formula and it wasn't as much as you thought it should be once you got into the job.

I base my sqft price on the the customer. If the person is nice, has the ability to check email for proofs, and doesn't have to stop by or call every time I have a question or they have a question, they get a better price...if the person doesn't carry a cell phone, can't check email, and isn't able to work with me easy...the price goes up...but I'm still basing it close to my original dollar amt that I charge for "standard customers".

I guess I just assumed that a sq. ft. price was the easiest thing to price even if you'd never done it before because there really aren't too many variables in a banner quote. Get as much as you can w/o losing the job. You never leave money on the table...even for a banner. If you don't know yet what the market can bare, then do what the others suggested and call around I guess.

Sven

The going rate is what you need to charge in order to keep your business running profitably.
I agree, but some signs, like yard signs, are hardly profitable if you sell them at the market price. You have to practically give them away, in order to get other business from clients. With all the online ready to go banner services out there, I wonder what's happening to banner prices these days. Going down?

SignManiac

You need to say no to any job that doesnt pay what you need to make. Find only work that makes you money and specialize in that. Saying no is sometimes the best money you will never lose. Compete with fools if you like, we all have the power of choice. Sermon over with!

Nobody can force you to give it away!

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
$6 seems fine to me. I'm working on what I hear about nationally though. If you are service oriented it might be a little low. If you're looking for volume and less chit-chat you might even be a buck or two too high.

OlsonSigns601

$96 bucks for a 4x8 and I print a lot of banners. Prob my most profitable sale honestly.

Thought about charging for a hem but ya guys know we compete with vista print.

J

john1

$96 bucks for a 4x8 and I print a lot of banners. Prob my most profitable sale honestly.

Thought about charging for a hem but ya guys know we compete with vista print.

:popcorn:

Charging for a hem really is part of finishing a standard banner to me, I mean i don't charge for grommets as it's part of finishing a banner. Unless they want 40 or something added.

Competing with Vista Print? There is no competition, I have seen their products and many customers have went to them, Hated their product and then come to me and understand fully why their magnets were only $20 a set and cards were only $10

OlsonSigns601

Its not just competing with Vista Print.

Staples & Kinkos have all drastically reduced the price of their banners now. They both have a 50% off sale on banners and yard signs. (Prices on their Yard Signs is way high still) But a 8' x 2.5' banner at Staples will run you about $70 and $34.99 while their 50% sale is running.

I agree with the HEM is part of a finished banner but maybe I sell them as outdoor banners have a hem and indoor banners don't.

J

john1

Its not just competing with Vista Print.

Staples & Kinkos have all drastically reduced the price of their banners now. They both have a 50% off sale on banners and yard signs. (Prices on their Yard Signs is way high still) But a 8' x 2.5' banner at Staples will run you about $70 and $34.99 while their 50% sale is running.

I agree with the HEM is part of a finished banner but maybe I sell them as outdoor banners have a hem and indoor banners don't.

Again, from what I've seen there is no competition in their quality vs ours. The stuff I've seen around my area from these companies were junk. They can keep the crappy graduation banner jobs. I'd rather serve businesses.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
HI Sven...as a wholesaler I hear from my clients in NE NJ that its tight out there sometimes. Service sometimes doesnt cut it....client only looks at price which stinks. 5-6 per sq is probably on the mark for this area...maybe more north and west in the state.