• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

pricing a monument sign

S

signs-work

ok so i got a wholesale on making monument signs the company i got a price form which is like $13900 anyways what woudl i charge for my markup on something like this its pretty much a pole mount job. what would i do for markup on a job like i really dont know the retail value onthese

Craig Sjoquist

This what the premium subscription is for.

A sign such as this has so many ways that could go wrong.

My 1st question is have ever worked for a sign shop & done this type from sales to completion.
..Myself sell what ever but sub out the work & all be there to help & learn.

visual800

we do a good bit of this. i dont have a formula but make sure this the absolute total price with install, no suprises no extras and make THEM get a permit since they are doing the install and they can obtain one eaier than you

on a job that size and with that price I would add anywhere from $1000-$1500 IF they were cutting you a deal. The more you sell like this and stick with same company the better off you are and the better your relationship will get

As the leading wholesale manufacturer of foamcore monuments signs, we get this question daily and our recommended markup is 60 to 100 percent. Hope this helps :) we also have tons of information and resources regarding monuments signs on our website, feel free to check it out at www.foamcraft.info

Kevin-shopVOX

2.0 markup to start then work your way down to 1.6 if they balk at the price. You can always go down if you need to negotiate with the client. If you start at 1.6 you have no room to negotiate. Another thing to consider is if you double your cost, if things go wrong then you have enough markup to cover the issues that may occur.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Punctuation is your friend. That run on paragraph gave me a headache.....

Got that right. It's very hard to find a question in there, let alone figure out an answer when one can't communicate. Especially in a filed where it's all about communicating to the masses. :doh:

S

signs-work

Sorry about that i was in a rush when i typed it. Peach tree is one company i have looked into on this sign also i found another company called Royal Foam that has some really nice prices. IM back and forth on buying from Peach Tree and Royal Foam. The estimate that that other price seem,s very high and not much room for me to make money on it. That price came from Howard Industries.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If two wholesale companies are bidding out the exact same job to you and there is a substantial difference in price, I would venture to say, they are probably pricing it differently due to using either different methods or schematics..... or missing some valuable part of the equation.

Are you supplying all the particulars so there is no straying or misunderstanding on either vendor's part ?? In other words.... are you giving written specs to both parties.... or just a verbal communication. As we first mentioned, communications are very important in this business. It can easily make... or break the best of deals.

S

signs-work

The $13,900 bid is for an aluminum sign manufactured like a monument sign. Now the other signs i got prices today was $2800 with shipping from Royal Foam Which i like alot better i am going to see what peach tree has to offer before i make my final decision. Yes on the customer and the vendor i have specific details on exactly what im looking for or selling. On The estimate i believe that there is i think 4 pages of details about the sign how it will be installed what charges to run electricity up to the sign and options that the customer can change to make the sign to fit him. I am taking your all advice on bidding this and i appreciate it very much.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Please don't take offense, but you are not very easy to understand.

So, you aren't comparing a $13,900 sign bid to a $2,800 sign bid, but are getting prices all over the place and going to give your customer options on the low end and explain they can get bigger and better if they spend 10's of thousands more ??

I'm still not quite following you, sorry.

S

signs-work

No i think im doing away with the $13,900 bid when the other signs at a cheaper price are actually nicer and better. I was just stating the prices i have gotten so far.

Bigdawg

Just Me
I will say (and I speak from experience here) that there is a monumental (tee-hee) difference in quality from one vendor to another on monument signs. I can say with all sincerity that if you want a monument style sign THAT WILL LAST, Peachtree is definitely a good, reliable, consistent source.

I am not slamming your other vendor at all, but I just want you to be aware of how much difference there can be in quality. We went with another company on a project a year or two ago. Pricing was quite lower, plus they were fairly local... my boss even went and toured the shop - it all looked good. So we ordered from them instead. It was a nightmare. The quality was not up to our standards and we actually had to have them remake one of the signs. And this was from a supposedly comparable company to Peachtree. We won't make that mistake again.

Just make sure you are comparing apples to apples when you compare pricing.

visual800

we started out with pylon sign illuminated and then jumped to a damn foam monument? hell i cant even keep up with this post. Just quote them an 18x24 coroplast on metal stake and be done with it.

Stay on track people. What your gonna end up doing is waste alot of time "quoting" 15 options for these guys and they will just go with someone else. Pinpoint what they what or what they need. Going from apylon to a ground level monument is 2 very different animals

royster13

Have you asked your client what their budget is......No sense quoting on a "Cadillac" option if they only have a "Pinto" budget.....

704signs

Its simple ... Just buy the 2800.00 sign and charge em 13,900 ... Then take the rest of the month off ... LOL

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I'm lost, but...

...does the customer want a foam monument or something more substantial (aluminum)?

S

signs-work

I sold him the foam monument sign with LED board it was more cost effective and with his budget was able to ad the LED Board in with his price Range Thanks guys for your input.

I sold him the foam monument sign with LED board it was more cost effective and with his budget was able to ad the LED Board in with his price Range Thanks guys for your input.

BIGDAWG, thanks for the comments - we love you guys & girls!

SIGNS-WORK, while we know that you have options, we hope to have the opportunity to serve you! A couple benefits that we provide our clients that I think are worth mentioning before you choose your supplier:

1. We are the ONLY wholesale manufacturer to have our product independently tested and APPROVED to withstand 175 mph winds!

Our PolyArmor (TM) hardcoat is what allows us to provide such a durable yet relatively lightweight product. The hardcoat is exclusive to our company.

2. We sell 100% WHOLESALE ONLY to the signage industry. The other company you mentioned offers their products to the general public as well as sign shops, contractors, etc....

While this has no bearing on the quality of the product, it is important to make sure that the relationships you have with your suppliers are beneficial to YOU.

i.e. if we receive calls from your end user or a contractor, we refer them to dealers in their area or if an active quote is in our system we call YOU, and refer the client back to you, this ensures that your client will NEVER be able to circumvent you... KEY on large projects. It is so sad, when we hear that sign shops have lost jobs to suppliers they thought they could trust. THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN AT OUR COMPANY, as our dedication to being exclusively wholesale to the industry is the heart of our business.

3. We offer a five year guarantee. Unlimited Options for sizes, colors, shapes, etc. We will worth with other industry suppliers to make that LED, dimensional letters, etc... a perfect fit with your monument.

4. We have 3 manufacturing facilities - offering you the most cost effective shipping solution, or you can pick them up.

Again, feel free to give us a call. We know that trust and a mutually beneficial relationship is earned not sold and we would love the opportunity to welcome you to the foamcraft dealer family. :clapping:

www.foamcraft.info

Last edited:

royster13

Peachtree, thank you for tip #1......I find often when out selling it is hard to get past a client's price point.....However, when you can demonstrate that a higher priced product can be a better value in the long run it makes it easier to get past those objections.....