• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

pricing a small reflective job... i don't know

Jillbeans

If it was only one layer maybe $50 would be OK but reflective is costlier to use and I do hate working with it. You gotta change out your blade etc.
Even if it is a leftover scrap the customer doesn't need to know it.
Pre-layering it may cause bubbles so be careful.
Love....Jill

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'll be honest, If you can stock every color in the world then awesome. Not everyone has every type of vinyl and color in stock. Gold reflective may be a standard color but i know i have only done 1 vehicle that's needed reflective in the past few years. Nobody buys colors just to have in case someone might want it. Red, Black, Blue, White, Silver to name a few are standard colors for a sign shop IMO but not anything specialty.

No one is putting you down, so get off the pity poor me routine again.

He merely made a good point about full service shops vs. wanna-be sign people. I'm in business over 40 years, so I have just about every color of 1Shot in quarts and gallons in stock, we have a huge array of screen inks in stock of various types, we have a huge assortment of cast, calendared, translucent, reflective and digital media in stock. We have several printers, cutting stations, three plotter cutters, 5 bay vehicle area, electrical components and much more.... so we consider ourselves a full service sign company.... not a shop.

There are people here who still specialize in hand painting, so that's gonna be their direction, not rolls of vinyl. Embroidery shops, screen shops, wrap shops and then people like you, just starting out and have no direction, other than by your own words, takes on anything and everything that comes down the pike regardless of their expertise on the project. Y'all gotta start somewhere and that's understandable, but it's better to start at the beginning and work your way up, rather just burst in the door announcing you are a sign person, but really have no experience at doing much of anything.

So, you're correct, you don't have to stock every color or every type of digital media. We don't. I have people here at s101 and other sign shops who want me to print on particular media, that I don't stock. I simply tell them what I do have or give them an option of providing me with the stock themselves. Generally, they go with what I have in stock.
john, please don't take this as a tongue lashing at you...... this is directed towards anyone who fits the bill. Young and old alike. You wouldn't take your daughter to a dentist that opened an office in his garage or bedroom and said he has no formal training, but bought some of the tools needed to fill a cavity and clean your teeth and until I get more familiar with things, I will eventually be able to extract a tooth. Novocaine.... ?? What's that ?? I won't feel a thing. I don't need that.

tsgstl

We have every reflective color in stock and all the colors in cast and calendared in stock

Either this statement is a exaggeration or you throw out a lot of expired vinyl. Vinyl is not like fine wine, it doesn't get better with age. There is NO WAY stocking every color of reflective, cast and calendered is a smart decision. There is not one of my supply companies that even do that so why would even the biggest of sign shops excuse me "companies"?
I feel like you are a "merchant member" not sure if that means you wholesale vinyl but if so that point would be moot. Even if you are it still would not be smart to carry every color.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Either this statement is a exaggeration or you throw out a lot of expired vinyl. Vinyl is not like fine wine, it doesn't get better with age. There is NO WAY stocking every color of reflective, cast and calendered is a smart decision. There is not one of my supply companies that even do that so why would even the biggest of sign shops excuse me "companies"?
I feel like you are a "merchant member" not sure if that means you wholesale vinyl but if so that point would be moot. Even if you are it still would not be smart to carry every color.

Keep on believing that. You'll really go places with your perception. :peace!:

tsgstl

I'd really like to know? I keep 64 rolls of all types in mostly 24" At least 16 more of 30+ colors and prob 2 dozen full size printable rolls of material. Not to mention my extras still in boxes of material I use more of (primary colors and more common print readies) I'm in a larger metropolitan area where I can get pretty much anything within hours. Why would it be a better business decision to carry more? You are in the NE I'm sure you have access to MANY suppliers. I'm not talking about the OP's post. I have all of these materials in stock at all times. I think I have too much, I would much rather the supply companies to keep that overhead at my disposal. I just don't get it.

And for the life of me I can't see how that could keep me from "going places"

EDIT: I'm not personally attacking you, I have been around here enough to respect your opinion. Your view on this just doesn't seem to pan out IMO.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We are literally phasing out most of our die-cut vinyl in the last two years as we hardly use it anymore. Most of our stuff is digitally printed onto vinyl or flatbed printed directly to substrates, but we still have about 250 rolls of colored vinyl in stock. Yes, some are old, but I have never found a vinyl not to perform the way is was intended, even after being on our shelf for 5 years and in some extreme cases..... 10 years. Years ago, keeping things inventoried was much harder than today. We went through rolls and rolls of vinyl a week due to sheer volume. Now it's the digital media we go through and substrates.

In fact, I have a pink roll [yuck] that I'm gonna be using later today for a guy, that I haven't used, since he was in for his other truck about 6 years ago..... and it was probably 5 years old that time. I'll let ya know how well it works.

I must admit, I never really stocked every color in calendared, but we did keep about 40 or 50 colors in intermediate.

Now, back to your comment.... you only have too much if the majority of your inventory gets used once or twice every year or two. We only have a few oddball colors that seemed to linger too long.

jfiscus

Rap Master
We don't stock as much as Gino, but we do have over 60 rolls of different colored 15" vinyl in stock currently; most of it reflective or specialty vinyl, then another 50 or so rolls of wider vinyls, and another 50 rolls of 54-63" digital substrate. It all depends on what your client base is like. Our EdgeFX runs way more than our Epson printer, but our market is primarily fire/ems/police vehicles.

Back to the original topic; I'm sure you have over 1/2 hour in customer discussion (did you also go on-site to color match their vinyl to determine gold reflective?), artwork setup, plotting/weeding/combining/masking vinyl, along with 5'+ of material used in the project...

You should never price vinyl based upon what you have in stock currently. How would you price this project if you did NOT have material in stock? Price it all as if you have to buy the material. If it would cost ~$150 for the materials (if neither were in stock), then start your pricing there. That way, any material in stock in essence becomes "no cost" to you on subsequent projects.

slappy

I ended up charging $63.00

$23.50 each for the top two decals and $8.00 each for the set of numbers.

They picked them up this morning.

MikePro

chaulk it up as a win, if you want to claim your use of scrap materials and were able it work for them in very little time, but most trades bill @ $65+/hr, not including materials, and I bet you spent a bit more than that on this.

software, hardware, materials, downtime posting on s101, and even just turning on the lights, gotta get paid somehow... not to mention your cut. just because it's a "side-job", or a "small-job", doesn't make it less of one.

gabagoo

I ended up charging $63.00

$23.50 each for the top two decals and $8.00 each for the set of numbers.

They picked them up this morning.

This is a fair price..... I just wanted to add that when it comes to reflective.....with 2 lines of copy 1.5" high that would use about 4" of a 15" punched roll and the scrap left behind would probably never be used.
At $16.00 per yard and up, thats a pretty expensive scrap piece and has to be considered in the final price.

I had a guy call today who wanted a small name for brake calipers, I ran 3 for $30.00...they were 1" x 3.5" . he called and told me the customer changed his mind and wanted black instead of white...ka-ching!!! another $30...if I could do that all day i would be a very rich man.