• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Pricing advice please

Stacey K

I like making signs
Hi All - I have a customer who is leasing a race track. He wants to buy 2'x4' pieces of 6mil Alumalite and edging from me then give them to some of the sponsors to get lettered. He ordered 4 so far and could be 50 but he MIGHT have me make the signs...IDK, he doesn't know either. Makes no sense to me. Anyway...how should I charge him for these? I don't often get people wanting only the substrate. I still have to take the time to cut them down, order them, etc. He is insisting on Alumalite with edging because he said he's taking them down every week so they stay "nice" forever (I doubt after doing this 1-2 times he will continue). I told him there is NO need to do that, he is set on it. Thanks!

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
Get 6mil DiBond and save the hassle of capping that will inevitably fail. I'd insist on lettering the signs and trying to set up a system for sponsors to contact you with art.

But, if you want to just sell substrate, mark it up your usual, and tack in a bit extra for cutting. If you can have your supplier cut it down for you, even better.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be the sign shop the sponsors are going to with a supplied substrate. It is a very very rare occasion where I will allow the client to bring in their own background material. You don't take your eggs to the diner, now do you?

Stacey K

I like making signs
Get 6mil DiBond and save the hassle of capping that will inevitably fail. I'd insist on lettering the signs and trying to set up a system for sponsors to contact you with art.

But, if you want to just sell substrate, mark it up your usual, and tack in a bit extra for cutting. If you can have your supplier cut it down for you, even better.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be the sign shop the sponsors are going to with a supplied substrate. It is a very very rare occasion where I will allow the client to bring in their own background material. You don't take your eggs to the diner, now do you?
I totally agree that I would NOT be happy if someone brought a substrate to my shop that they got from another sign shop, ridiculous. He wants the edging so he can lay them on top of each other and they don't scratch...I've never heard such nonsense before. Everything I've done for him has been a backwards hassle lol Thank you for the advice, I think I will finish this order and insist on doing the entire sign next time. With email it's pretty easy for anyone to send me their artwork.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
He wants the edging so he can lay them on top of each other and they don't scratch...I've never heard such nonsense before..

That only makes sense if they're perfectly centered on one another and don't shift. Tell him to store them back to back and put a piece of cardboard between the lettered surfaces.

On a side note, he seems like a real pill and I'd add in a PITA charge.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay, let's start by saying.....there's a buncha things wrong with this scenario.

If you're only supplying the substrate, somewhere along the line, someone is gonna underbid you and most likely it will be one of the shops doing someone's sponsor board.

I would discuss with this person, they can keep everything under one roof by going with you and at the same time guarantee the quality of work going up at the track. Just ask him, do you want someone doing this in their cellar and another one digitally printed and have a huge difference ?? You want to keep uniformity and the high standards your shop can provide. You wont have that if you a have a dozen or two different shops supplying all the signs. Also, you can act as the go-between and have ALL the sponsors call you direct.... even if some of them have another sign shop. You very easily could land some new customers this way.

We just did this exact same scenario with a guy about 3 months ago and the first sign came in Tuesday. He pre-ordered a certain amount of blank (4x8s) and we'll just hafta print one side, but he knows the quality and turnaround will be spot on.

In the end, tell them you will supply a sign of your own for his sponsorship, as long as NO other shops are doing the work. You wouldn't wanna be associated with some hack's work if it goes up.

Also, you store them on end, not face to face, back to back or anything other than standing up. It'll take up less room, anyway. Then you don't need the edging.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
I dunno. Your client could just as easy buy the substrate himself. Why would he want to pay your markup and handling costs?

It would be easier and less expensive for everybody if he just referred his advertisers to you.