• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pricing for 200pcs of vehicle logo decals, am I overpriced?

s.hack

Hi, just a bit of a background, I've been selling automotive vinyl wrap and tools for the past few years. I usually take on small installation projects from time to time in the summer. I sell local, and ship Canada wide. I'm a student and this is my home business. I recently purchased a 2' vinyl plotter so that I can start cutting custom decals, letters etc.

The first job I quoted was 1"x7", single color, at $0.95 each.
IMG_20140201_003822 (1024x768).jpg
The second job I quoted was 3"x3", dual color at $1.25 each
Screenshot_2014-02-08-14-45-22.jpg
These prices are for 200 individual pieces with the release paper.
Are my prices too high?

I've read this post about pricing decals but I don't think the numbers make sense when pricing small sized, large quantity orders.
http://walldecalbusiness.com/vinyl-decal-price-calculator/

Jillbeans

I anything, you are far too low.
If using cut vinyl for that two-color job, are you planning on pre-assembling them?
(hopefully not layering)
I don't give out prices online in the main forum, but let's just say for a single-color 4" logo I get over three times what you're charging.
(Oracal 651)
The size may be small, but a lot require tedious weeding, and you have to charge for your time, not just for materials.
Love....Jill

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Hi, just a bit of a background, I've been selling automotive vinyl wrap and tools for the past few years. I usually take on small installation projects from time to time in the summer. I sell local, and ship Canada wide. I'm a student and this is my home business. I recently purchased a 2' vinyl plotter so that I can start cutting custom decals, letters etc.

The first job I quoted was 1"x7", single color, at $0.95 each.
View attachment 96563
The second job I quoted was 3"x3", dual color at $1.25 each
View attachment 96564
These prices are for 200 individual pieces with the release paper.
Are my prices too high?

I've read this post about pricing decals but I don't think the numbers make sense when pricing small sized, large quantity orders.
http://walldecalbusiness.com/vinyl-decal-price-calculator/

Unlike Jill, I'm not in the least bit reticent to discuss prices. Your prices are a bit higher than my own. You can figure these by the each or, often a bit easier, figure one big decal with the same are as all of the individual decals together. For example 200 1"x7" items would be the rough equivalent of a 30"x48" decal for which I'd charge $88.00 or $0.44 each, masking and parting extra. What would you get for one of those? You might or might not add in a bit of labor for cutting them apart. I wouldn't but others often seem to become apoplectic at the very thought of doing something, no matter how trivial, for nothing.

The two color 3"x3" I'd print or not do it at all. Using much the same method as above, this would be the equivalent of printing a 24"x75" image for which I'd charge $112.00 or $0.56 per each. Contour cutting, masking, and parting extra, depending on my mood.

The point being that it's often far more convenient to price a bunch of small pieces as if it were one large piece.

Jillbeans

If I were going to do them that cheaply, I'd sub them out to a wholesaler and re-sell.
I hate leaving money on the table.

s.hack

These are cut, not printed.
Yes I would be assembling the 2 color parts, rather than layering.

The problem I have with pricing is calculating how much I should add for the time it takes to weed, cut and mask. I'm thinking to estimate how long it will take in hours and pay myself a decent wage per hour, and factor that in the price per piece?

Billct2

No, you don't pay yourself a decent wage, you pay an employee a decent wage and mark it up. You should charge what any other shop would charge as a labor rate per hour.

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
decal prices

you prices are i bit average if not a little low.
as far as pricing by total square area, that is the best way to short change your self.
so your total area comes out to 36x48. big deal, right? absolutely.
you are cutting 100x more detail with your plotter which dulls the knife blade faster.
you have to then chop up each into a 1"x7" square. tedious.
this is not just a big decal with fancy print. weeding takes longer too.
if you want to lose money, go ahead and price it up that way.
thats genius.

MikePro

offhand, approx. without knowing exact hours & overhead, I'd say you should be charging 30-50% more.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Have you calculated your overhead and established your income goals in order to set your hourly shop rate? If not you may find in due course that you do yourself a great disservice in relying on what others charge for their services. You need to independently establish what you must charge for your own business.

I strongly recommend that you read all 136 posts in THIS THREAD.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
In one word..... YES, you are over priced.

If that's all you do, then you are overpriced. If you have other areas you can sell, then go there and sell the other things, cause anyone can make them for pennies a piece and still make money. Do sign shops wanna do this kinda work ?? Heck NO !! But, you guys doing this little stuff, seem to thrive on mindless tedious stuff for next to nothing, so stay in that small barrel and swim with the other little fishies and make pennies.... or go bigger.