• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pricing for a friend

craigdavisdesign

What would you charge a friend to do printing for if they supplied the material and print ready artwork ? Also, labor for helping install signs, vinyl, and wraps. Yeah, I know, pricing can be all over the place, just looking for some kind of starting point. Serious answers appreciated. Thanks

speedmedia

Double what you would charge a non-friend !

+1 your friend should get charged double becasue they will be twice the pain in the a$$.

I have a friend who builds houses I would certainly not want a deal while building my house, that means important things are being skipped.

Thanks,
Kurt

TheSnowman

Friends don't get deals. Neither does family. Everyone pays the same price. A friend of a family member is normally going to be pickier than a regular customer.

Si Allen

If he is a best buddy...ya do it for free!

Otherwise full shop rate! Why?

The Art Work will nee a lil tweaking such as :

The color is off a bit, can you fix it?

That part is fuzzy, can you shapen it up a bit?

Ya know....now that I look at it, can hou move this part over here?

I have to have this ready by tomorrow Noon

Etc................

Also......why is he supplying material? Did he get a deal on some 2nd rate stuff that isn'y gonna print worth a crap?

craigdavisdesign

we help each other out. i have a larger machine. and we help each other on larger jobs with labor. we just want to be fair and charge a fair price for our efforts

gnatt66

sometimes it's better to 'catch up with' a friend in that sort of situation than to exchange money. I rely on my friends in a pinch, and I expect to be called upon when I can help as well. I've been lucky to make some lasting friendships in business and otherwise..the real friends make sure it's not a one way street, etc.

TheSellOut

I depends on what type of friend this person is! I only have 1 friend that I consider to be as close as family and would offer my labor up at no-charge, media only. Now my next closest friend, who is a sign maker, would still get the install labor at no charge because we would be working on it together (and he would do the same for me)...but I would double any media prices and charge him labor for any setup time, printing time, and such...for he will be making money off of it too! Other than those two I would charge full price!

Edserv

If I offer to do jobs for "friends or family," I insist on doing it for "free." Why? Because, they will treat you like a vendor, even if you're a friend or family.
...No Good Deed...
So if I have a friend or family approach me saying something like..."Hey, I need a banner for my daughter's softball game," I say to them; "No problem, we have a "friends and family program. I'll make your banner (or insert product name here)for FREE, as long as we can put our logo and website/phone on the banner (or coupon on the back of the printed product..)"
This really works well. It's a donation that is advertising!
Take advantage of helping others while giving yourself advertising.
Thanks,
Chris
Lets Go Banners

weaselboogie

Charge them your markup price and trade labor! Donate your hours of your time if they donate the same amount of time to do your yardwork or whatever crappy job you've been putting off. Continue to let them know what a great deal they are getting. :rolleyes:

A good friend of mine does real estate/auctions. I quoted him out normally for a strip/ prep/redo on his old signs and them gave him a generous discount and let him SEE what I normally charge. "here's my rate, you pay X% of that". He's so pumped about the favor and has since sent $4000 worth of jobs my way from acquaintances that I"m charging my normal rate, plus he's coming over to help with the sand/repaint on the boards. He has his hands in many things, so I'll be repaid 10 fold of what I gave. It really depends on how good of a friend and if they won't take your generosity for granted. I can think of a friend or two that gets the normal rate.

TheSnowman

Or in that case, it depends who that friend knows, or who his connections are. I guess there is always an exception.

mark in tx

I don't have friend prices.

I can give you a story on how I got burned with someone supplying their own material.
I did a print run on magnetics for another shop. Turned out great.
Next time around other shop wanted to supply the magnetic, I told them what to order.
They ordered some cheap substitute that wouldn't even lay flat on the printer.
Somehow that was my fault.

Just be careful with friend arrangements.