• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pricing Question

vroongraphics

Hello. I have Estimate Ent 2011 and need confirmation on a quote I am working on. I am doing a job that has 100% ink coverage, using ecosolvent inks (Mutoh), basic vinyl, laminated and mounted onto dibond sheets. There are 5 panels. The number I am coming up with works out to $525 per panel. does this sound right? I do not want to lose a job due to overpricing, but it seems okay, as I normally charge about $400 for a similar job without lamination....Just want to make sure.....

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I really should just make a reply and just paste it into these million of "how do I price out for a job without giving any details about the job" posts ...

Alright business 101.

Take your materials (m) and overhead (o) and apply a margin (preset %) and that will be your supply cost (s). (M+O)x%=(s)
Next estimate your man hours (h) and multiply what your cost (c) for that and you will have your labor (L). (hxc)=L
add your supply and labor costs together. that is your minimum price (p) to break even . S+L=P

Anything above and beyond is whatever you feel comfortable with quoting to make a profit.

Your ink, substrate, printing materials, cutting blades, laminate, cleaning solutions, etc are your ACTUAL materials ... overhead is all the intangible stuff like power, water, the roof over your head, your machine costs.
Margin ... margin is your way of covering hidden costs and the such if you operate on a 50% margin on goods you should be multiplying by 1.5, 100% is 2, 150% is 2.5, ect. The margin is primarily a way most shops cover OOPS events or miscalculation of supplies in the quote without hurting profits.
Man hours is the amount of hours you expect it to work, so 2 people working for 1.5 hours would be 3 man hours.
your man hour cost ... is your cost of pay, taxes, etc. you can have a margin set to this as well.

That is business 101 ... micro economics.

vroongraphics

thanks for your time. I appreciate the response. I thought that by subscribing to the Premium section of this website I could get some actual feedback and not be treated like a newbie.
In terms of the panel size, they are 4x8 foot panels.:signs101:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
thanks for your time. I appreciate the response. I thought that by subscribing to the Premium section of this website I could get some actual feedback and not be treated like a newbie.
In terms of the panel size, they are 4x8 foot panels.:signs101:

You might be a 'Premium Subscriber', but you didn't post in the 'Premium' section.

Oh..... and to add, his answer was dynamite dead balls on. You just have to plug some numbers in and you have it. I don't understand the newbie reaction ?? :help

vroongraphics

Newbie reaction: Based on the fact that I have already done my homework when I set up my Estimate software, and I was just trying to get some "feedback" on a quote (albeit I forgot to enter the size of the panels I was inquiring about).

I simply needed confirmation if I was "in the ballpark" or not, as there is another printer in the region that is doing this type of work and our quotes are being compared for this job....

Next time I will be sure to post in Premium section!

vroongraphics

also, I feel that lengthy responses are great and educational, but if solely based on "educating" your peers, a PM works just the same. If posted for all to see, then it is what it is....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Newbie reaction: Based on the fact that I have already done my homework when I set up my Estimate software, and I was just trying to get some "feedback" on a quote (albeit I forgot to enter the size of the panels I was inquiring about).

I simply needed confirmation if I was "in the ballpark" or not, as there is another printer in the region that is doing this type of work and our quotes are being compared for this job....

Next time I will be sure to post in Premium section!

No, don't take me wrong. I'm not scolding you, but trying to enlighten you as to your thinking he was treating you as a newbie .... and he wasn't. To your reaction was exactly that of a newbie with thin skin jumping on his case and he was completely in the right.

Sometimes its hard to see ourselves if we're not looking directly into a mirror.

vroongraphics

No, don't take me wrong. I'm not scolding you, but trying to enlighten you as to your thinking he was treating you as a newbie .... and he wasn't. To your reaction was exactly that of a newbie with thin skin jumping on his case and he was completely in the right.

Sometimes its hard to see ourselves if we're not looking directly into a mirror.

**** Yes, I thought of that too....I am sorry if I am being defensive, as his information is dead on for accuracy, and I will be sure to keep that in mind. No hard feelings...Actually, I was trying to delete this post and repost it in the Premium section, but cannot figure out how....i AM a newbie! lol

Gino

Premium Subscriber

**** Yes, I thought of that too....I am sorry if I am being defensive, as his information is dead on for accuracy, and I will be sure to keep that in mind. No hard feelings...Actually, I was trying to delete this post and repost it in the Premium section, but cannot figure out how....i AM a newbie! lol

Don't apologize, you really didn't do anything wrong..... just jumped the gun a little. Just start it over and do it in the back room. No harm leaving this one out here. You'll be surprised at the help you'll receive........

vroongraphics

Lessons learned everyday. I found the premium thread I should have used, so all is good. I will repost there, as I still need some feedback....

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I thought that by subscribing to the Premium section of this website I could get some actual feedback and not be treated like a newbie.

You'll find it very hard to find anyone who can give you help with what you provided them in the OP. Nothing in it stands out to me as a helpfully specific, later on you mentioned it's a 4x8 panel and I know it's dibond, but 'basic vinyl, laminated and mounted' is pretty generic are you talking cast or calendared? are you talking solvent appropriate or are you just throwing a roll of cut vinyl on the mutoh and getting it done. I mean, I know that just in fellers, your average roll of solvent material on the cheap end from brand to brand per roll varies in price by almost $100. (crud, HP cut vinyl is a difference of about $60) All which affect your pricing. and laminate ... geez those are just as diverse as solvent materials. ... how about estimated labor and your labor costs? also, you have to realize that every situation is different, you also do not mention what your overhead or cost of doing business then of course you also need to consider you price not on what the job is, but ALSO what other jobs you WON'T be doing as well. To me, $525 seems about right. One day to print and lam, one day to install .. 2 days if you have rush jobs in the mix, total bill will be about $2.6k I can see that ... but as I stated earlier, i would know what your break even point will be and price for profits above and beyond there. If you are fine with $525 ... your next job will be to sell that price. One of my professors once told me that if you're selling anything whether it's art, cars or the prospect of a better tomorrow was not selling the product ... but yourself. So shake what your momma gave you, and get that sale!

Alright, good talk. Time for coffee. :thumb:

Malkin

Using my home-grown estimating software, I came out a little higher using generic composite panel & cast vinyl/lam.

I would say your in the ballpark, any closer comparison would not be helpful since we are in different markets.