• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pricing signs and graphics

Hi there, I was just wondering how to effectively price all my products to stay competitive. Im just starting out in the sign business and im having trouble getting all the pricing for all the different types of media i use. Currently I take the customers wants, then i figure out my costs that are associated with designing, printing laminating etc. Then try and find a percent to mark up product. Then i usually try and get another quote for the same product from a large sign company to make sure im on track and competitive. Sometimes im close but usually way way lower. I noticed that most companies have some sort of excel program or something that has all the information already in there computer and they just plug in the dimensions and the material its going to be placed on and have a quote within minutes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks.

iSign

you can subscribe to Signs101 premium membership.
Instead of the free membership you have for various chit chat forums, you will have access to all the professional discussions of just this topic (many taking place right now, as well as years worth of searchable archives)

We don't want our clients learning the inner workings of this industry & our pricing structure, so not much classified pricing information is shared with the cheap seats

Jillbeans

If you subscribe to SignCraft magazine you get a free pricing guide.
You want to figure out your shop rate (what it costs to keep the doors open and equipment, insurance, etc) as a base hourly charge. I always do materials X 3 at minimum but it's a lot more involved.
There's also the Signwriter's Pricing Guide, it usually runs a little high but it's a nice bound book to keep on your counter if put on the spot by a waiting client, so it doesn't look as if you are just pulling a price out of your @ss.
Love....Jill

Fanaticus

I just spent the last 6 months organizing and raising the prices on about 5000 items. I hate CSV files, but am loving the results.

Locals Find!

I would suggest becoming a premium subscriber. I have only been one for a short period but, I can tell you it was well worth the cost. Their is a complete thread on how to do pricing for your business in the premium section.

Edit: as I was typing this it seem everyone has already suggest the same thing. Follow their advice they have all been doing this a long long time

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Besides joining the 'Premium' section, you might want to consider using the 'Search' feature.

When you bought your computer, software and printer.... had you given it any thought as to what you were getting into.... or did you just figure to wing it and hope for the best ??

Not a tongue lashing towards you, but it amazes me how so many people don't have a clue as to getting started in a business, how to run their business, the laws and codes of business, pricing, finding customers, how to really do anything in an industry and then have the audacity to call themselves a sign shop.

I know more about milking a cow than the vast majority of you know about signs.... and I don't consider myself a dairy farmer. :Big Laugh

I put in a lot of thought, I had only a cheap vinyl cutter before and did it for about 2 years, Then decided to get into digital printing. Im just learning as i go and if there is a problem it just takes me a little longer to figure it out lol. But its slowly coming along. Thanks for your help!