• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pricing window perf.

Salmoneye

I have never printed window perf (we are quite new) I will need 16' of material and I can buy 25' for $100. It is 4 side and the back window on a bravada. He also wants a 4 color decal on the door not wrapped but a die cut decal. I was thinking $475 for all the glass and $55 per door (don't know if he wants 2 or 4). Customer art or we will charge hourly for art. These prices are for printing and installation.
I know it's subjective but what do you think? High, low, right????

Circleville Signs

You dont' HAVE to laminate the perf. There are pros and cons.

That being said, I would probably laminate it. We get $10/sf designed and installed for perf and for vehicle graphics (digitally printed).

Gary

Biker Scout

Actually, there is a vehicle code out here in CA for requiring window per to be laminated with optically clear lamination. It's a safety thing... because the perf holes fill up with dust and as soon as it rains, or you get moisture running down your windows, you can't see out of them to save your life.

I'm pretty sure I ran across an FHWA bulletin, that even stated that it couldn't be any less than 50/50 viewable perforation and I know optically clear was mentioned.

MilanoGuru

I agree. Lam with no Exceptions at all. We have had some major issues in the past when people don't want to pay "extra" for the lam and come back 2 or 3 weeks later complaining they cant see out the back window. We charge 10 dollars with lam. But I don't give my artwork away free because It makes the Perception of my Artwork being cheap. Hope that helps Good Luck!

Rising

Salmoneye. Pricing advice on forums are difficult, what might be good for me, may not be good for you. All pricing should be structured around your business overheads, what you pay for materials, and what you want to earn, not what fred down any road is charging.

This last 12 - 18 months has seen more and more in our trade drop their prices, this is crazy and under valuing the very skilled job we all do. Make sure you know your overheads so you can determine a production rate. So if it takes 4 hrs to prep, print cut and apply this job then make sure you are covered and more importantly, making money on top.

As far as lam on perf is concerned, well we have just printed over 100 metre's of this for retail shop windows this last few weeks and have not lammed any of it. We took this option as only down for six months, customer budget, and I am not a fan of the laminate not making full contact with surface of window.

Hope this helps

Steve

Biker Scout

Lamination on retail windows is optional. Actually I don't like the way it looks on a store front... but absolutely can not do it on a vehicle without it.

Rising

Biker Scout. Thats intersting on the law thing, makes sense I guess. We dont often do vehicle windows and TBH havent lammed em when we have put perf on, mayb I will review this. Of course if we did I would only opt for optically clear lam, any other would be kinda useless.

Salmoneye, sorry I only just re read your liquid lam part. we have never used this process, so cant comment. I would like to know more on its reliability though.

Steve

GVP

There's another good reason to laminate - if you live anywhere with a freeze/thaw cycle. Moisture will get into the hole and when it freezes can cause the perf to lift away from the glass.

Salmoneye

Good info. I am surprised about this law. I thought that if you had left and right mirrors you could actually paint any windows behind the driver completely black if you wanted to and throw the rear view mirror in the trash. As far as calculating price by overhead and what you want to make etc... I have never believed in that approach. I want to charge as much as I can within my given market. I think that I am selling a product and not my service so much. My overhead might be half as much as my competitor but if my work is as good it should have the same value to my customer. I don't need to be the highest in town but I sure as heck don't want to be the cheapest. Thanks again for all the info.