• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pricing with foils

daenterpri

If you have a small job come in that requires using foils that you rarely ever use, do you bill your customer extra for that? Or do you charge them normally, figuring that you'll use the foils eventually?

It's about a $200 job, and I'll probably need to order 3 foils that I don't have, for that job.. that kinda takes away all the profit, but at the same time it paid for those foils.

Thanks,

Andy

Browner

If this happens I'll eat the cost of the foil, but only after I've checked with the customer to see if one of the colors I have isn't close enough, or that I can't "make" the same color using SpectraShade, or a Spectratone formula.

I've been doing this for over ten years, and have yet to buy a Beige, Kumquat, Terra Cotta, Brick Red, or Forest Green foil. That said... I have an Aqua foil on the shelf that's from 1999.

daenterpri

Haha, thats great. Thanks.

Do you always have to make Spectra Shade into a separate layer, or is there a way to set it up so that some objects get a color AND spectra shade without having to put layers on top of each other?

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
If you have a small job come in that requires using foils that you rarely ever use, do you bill your customer extra for that? Or do you charge them normally, figuring that you'll use the foils eventually?

It's about a $200 job, and I'll probably need to order 3 foils that I don't have, for that job.. that kinda takes away all the profit, but at the same time it paid for those foils.

Thanks,

Andy

What are the foil colors?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
If this happens I'll eat the cost of the foil, but only after I've checked with the customer to see if one of the colors I have isn't close enough, or that I can't "make" the same color using SpectraShade, or a Spectratone formula.

I've been doing this for over ten years, and have yet to buy a Beige, Kumquat, Terra Cotta, Brick Red, or Forest Green foil. That said... I have an Aqua foil on the shelf that's from 1999.

I started in 1998 with one of every foil offered, so I'm happy when an odd request comes in. Still, I have rarely charged a client for bringing in a color of foil or vinyl to do their job.

I agree with Browner on Brick Red and Terra Cotta. Here in Palm Beach County though, Forest Green is used all the time by the wealthy. I've also found Beige and Kumquat both to be very useful in Spectratone mixing.

I would add Spot Brown to the list of least used colors.

Browner

Do you always have to make Spectra Shade into a separate layer, or is there a way to set it up so that some objects get a color AND spectra shade without having to put layers on top of each other?

When you go to Assign Colors, select the Gerber Spectratone Pallete, from there, you can assign the top and bottom foils accordingly.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
i'll try everything else before ordering in a foil (or multiple foils) for a small job...spectratone, spectratone II and process print....if they don't like the results of any of those, then yes, i'll order the foil and no it doesn't get built in

considering a 45mtr foil is $100 or so, and you would have to add 3 foils, so thats $300 + tax and maybe shipping, for a $200 job..... try the other methods as said above first if you can.

J Hill Designs

wow never knew about the spectratone pallette - I've been layering shapes for spectratone for the past 5 years...

:thumb::thankyou::signs101::U Rock:

daenterpri

When selecting Spectratone colors to go on top of each other, do you have to change the Overlap? Or does it change the temperature automatically?

Billct2

There is a spectratone color chart that you can print, comes in real handy.
As for the question, it depends, not too many colors I don't have and they don't go bad.
I have some colors for years and they'll get used once in awhile and they are part of the spectratone pallette too.
I use a lot of brick red, terra cotta nad forest green, go figure...
Regular customer wouldn't even hear about it, a new client would proabably get an added charge for color matching, not the whole cost, but something to take the sting out of the purchase.

Dana Goodale

OMEGA also has Gerber Color ID that cross references any colors in OMEGA, including spot colors, vinyl colors, Spectratone Colors, or even Pantone(r) colors.

Go to the OMEGA program group, then Gerber ColorID.

Choose the source palette at the top, then the specific color from the palette on the right, then the palette to match to (target palette) on the bottom left.

You will see the original source color in the middle of the swatches, and the top 10 matches to the left and right of the original from best (upper left) to worst (lower right) along with a description of the color results below the swatches. There is also a Delta E value to give an idea of how close the results are.

If you go to SETTINGS you can change the results list to 20 colors instead of 10.

You can do LOTS of useful color cross referencing with this tool.

This will let you cross reference a single spot color to the top 10 best Spectratone matches. Or vice versa.

Or you can start with a vinyl color and get a spot color or Spectratone match. Or vice versa.

Or you can start with a Pantone(r) color (Gerber is a Pantone licensee) and cross reference to spot colors or vinyl colors or Spectratone colors. Or vice versa.
attachment.php

Thanks,

Dana

Attachments

• spectratone_screenshot.jpg
    spectratone_screenshot.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 166

omgsideburns

wow.. i use beige, terra cotta, forest green & aqua all the time.. i just looked at the rack and we have 28 different foils on it.. might be too many, but i like it since i'm just a designer and it gives me lots of room for play.

The Equipment Guy

I generally take in enough used Edges that I have a bunch of used foils on my shelves. I usually sell them for 1/2 price then reduce them by the percentage used off them.

If anybody ever wants to try me for some that are not worth buying new, send me a pm, I can see if I have it.

Craig

D-Kal

OMEGA also has Gerber Color ID that cross references any colors in OMEGA, including spot colors, vinyl colors, Spectratone Colors, or even Pantone(r) colors.

Go to the OMEGA program group, then Gerber ColorID.

Choose the source palette at the top, then the specific color from the palette on the right, then the palette to match to (target palette) on the bottom left.

You will see the original source color in the middle of the swatches, and the top 10 matches to the left and right of the original from best (upper left) to worst (lower right) along with a description of the color results below the swatches. There is also a Delta E value to give an idea of how close the results are.

If you go to SETTINGS you can change the results list to 20 colors instead of 10.

You can do LOTS of useful color cross referencing with this tool.

This will let you cross reference a single spot color to the top 10 best Spectratone matches. Or vice versa.

Or you can start with a vinyl color and get a spot color or Spectratone match. Or vice versa.

Or you can start with a Pantone(r) color (Gerber is a Pantone licensee) and cross reference to spot colors or vinyl colors or Spectratone colors. Or vice versa.
attachment.php

Thanks,

Dana

Great Stuff