• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pricing Your Services

Storm

The company I am working for is wanting to get into the sign and banner business and is looking to me to guide the company into this new field. I was wondering what is the best way to price your services. Whats the best way to price signs, banners, window graphics and so on? Are prices based on square footage of material and then labor or is it priced differently. Thanks

ONLINE SIGN GUY

my first question would be do you have any background in the field, or are you in charge so there asking for direction?

If your not familiar, theres alot to learn and know before ever quoting jobs, if your not familiar you could loose your shirt, and worse yet, since your an employee, you could damage your reputation with the company...could be risky.

do you have any expierence? what does the company focus on currantly
/

Storm

I do have some experience, about 2 years worth, that is why the company is looking to me to direct them in this field. My experience is in the production portion of the business, I never had to order material or quote jobs. I saw a program that quotes jobs for you but is that type of program worth it? As of right now my company focus is on running architectual plans, quick copy work, promotional items, large format printing, and graphic design work.

Custom Bob

If you don't mind me asking. What kind of business does your company do?

I hope this isn't another body shop, clothing store, bakery, grocery store, pizza parlour, etc. that is going into the sign business to make millions??

Storm

If you don't mind me asking. What kind of business does your company do?

I hope this isn't another body shop, clothing store, bakery, grocery store, pizza parlour, etc. that is going into the sign business to make millions??

Ah, no, I work for a graphics company thats been around for over 17 years. We are looking to add to our services.

Mosh

I am thinking about adding a baking service to our shop. I love making cookies and have been doing it at home for years. What should I charge, per cookie or by the dozen?

zmatalucci

I am thinking about adding a baking service to our shop. I love making cookies and have been doing it at home for years. What should I charge, per cookie or by the dozen?

depends of the quantity your selling... but if your going to be baking in the thousands, I would outsource it to stouse

Mosh

Go on the interweb-super-roadway and see what others are charging. I bet if you show your boss what banners are going for he won't want to fork out the $30K-$40k for the equipment you will need.

adkinssigns.com
Here are my banner prices!

pointjockey

what ever the price, make sure you are making money. Too many people add services thinking that its simply a way to attract more customers. While it can work out that way, when you start doing the math you're losing your tail. This segment of your business should be able to stand alone and make a profit.
Do some price checks with local shops. Find out what they are charging. Then do your research on material costs, design costs, and production labor. You will need to assign a small percentage to cover overhead. If you are higher, thats fine. You will attract customers that are coming in for other services. I would not think of trying to low ball just to bring in business.

Jon Aston

Storm,

In my view, Estimate Software provides an excellent tool, based on a solid pricing model. But you won't be operating in a vacuum, so I would recommend doing some competitive research as well. If you want/need to be able to charge more than your competitors, then you need to be able to answer the question of how to provide customers with better value. That's a question I would suggest asking and answering anyway, before your company makes any serious decisions about entering the market.

Good luck!

Jillbeans

Subscribe to SignCraft, you get a free pricing guide with it.
That would be for starters.
Estimate or GraphicsCalc (or whatever it's called. the guy is a member here) are good options too.
But I do not charge by the square foot, I haven't for ages.
I know how much money I have myself in materials for every job.
I know what it costs to keep the lights on.
I used to use materials X three or four, I even still do that when really in a bind.
But what I am really selling is advertising.

A client will pay $600/month for a tiny Yellow Pages ad but balk at spending $600 on a van which advertises 24/7 for him for as long as he has it.
A client will come to me after seeing my work because he likes my style, even though I am not the cheapest shop in town.

Doing signs and banners is a completely different type of business than making copies. You would be better off studying about it thoroughly before jumping in with both feet.
If you give it away, you will go broke, and probably hurt the pricing structure of other shops in your area. There is more to it than just pushing a few buttons and charging $7/sq. ft. (which I was charging for banners in 1995)

Even a simple knock-out layout in one color takes design skill to make it effective.
I didn't learn that overnight even if it only takes me 10 minutes to do a mock up.
As well as pricing guides you should also buy some of Dan Antonelli's logo books and the Mike Stevens Mastering Layout book for starters.
Love....Jill

just common sense...wouldnt it make sense to have someone guide them that had actually done what they are going to try to do? you are not doing this company any favors as you have stated you simply do not have the experience to undertake this task...

a recipe for failure if i have ever seen one.