Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pricing..

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing, Pricing Etc.' started by 2xcapers, Jan 26, 2010.

1. 2xcapers

2xcapers Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Hi,
    I have a person interested in 30 signs. They are looking for them to be vinyl on bristol board stock.
    Signs (bristolboard) are 36" x 19.5 with lettering - 23.5 x 16

2 questions... will vinyl on BB be ok?
    also what kind of price would be approprite?

I think they would be better on a printer but I'm not in the position to do them that way.

thanks for any help on the vinyl pricing..
    Vic

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
    Tags:
  2. Checkers

Checkers Very Active Member

Jul 24, 2003
    If it's the material I'm thinking of, you shouldn't have issues. However, although unlikely, you can run into adhesion problems if its a matte surface because some vinyl may not want to stick to it. I would also suggest that you use low tack transfer tape.

For a quantity that size, I would suggest you find a screen printer and outsource them. It would be easier and probably more profitable.

Checkers

3. royster13

royster13 Very Active Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Montrose BC
    +1 on screen printing.....

4. 2xcapers

2xcapers Member

Feb 10, 2009
    thanks,
    what would be a fair price on vinyl for this? I will also look at outsourcing locally.

Although I think the person is pretty fixed on vinyl ??

thanks again.

5. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    bristol board? Is this the 70's or what?

6. JR's

JR's Very Active Member

Sep 6, 2007
    swansea Ma 02777
    What is Bristol Board?

JR

7. JR's

JR's Very Active Member

Sep 6, 2007
    swansea Ma 02777
    I google it (A high quality heavy weight paper, sometimes made with cotton fiber prepared or glued together)

JR

8. 2xcapers

2xcapers Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Bristol Board... Mosh.. this is 10 years into the New Millenium. Time to open your mine to every possibility and everymarket.

Jr. I'm sure they must use this in school systems. My son still uses it in projects at their school?

Sorry guys, but this is what the customer has in place for signage. I'm sure they aren't going to change out an entire system , just for 1 signage special. Its a coated card stock display system

thanks for all positve help so far

Vic

9. Circleville Signs

Circleville Signs Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Circleville, OH
    Why WOULDN'T they change it?

It is your job as a professional to explain to them WHY they should make a change. And if you do your job well enough, it might result in them changing ALL of their signage, which would result in MORE work for you.

You need to get out of the mindset that "The customer is always right". The customer is very rarely right. This isn't McDonald's. You are a professional (I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt). Act like one.

Gary

10. 2xcapers

2xcapers Member

Feb 10, 2009
    HMMM, as stated..
    Its 1 special. This is a National company and signage is provided. The manager is running his own special and requires some work to go in the existing hardware.

geeez

11. royster13

Apr 3, 2009
    Montrose BC
    So they are probably expecting to pay a few $$$s each.....

12. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

you got a local PRINT SHOP...like in the old days, that does flyers, business cards, letterheads????
    or some one with a WIDE FORMAT PRINTER.....kinda silly to do TEMP SIGNS of that type, with any vinyl.

13. Circleville Signs

Sep 30, 2009
    Circleville, OH
    OP just made sense???!!!!??

I'm calling The Guinness Book...

J/K
    Gary

14. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

yea i used to live near OHIO(stubenville).....but i got smart and LEFT!!!!hahahahahahahaa

15. 2xcapers

2xcapers Member

Feb 10, 2009
    I came here hoping to use this site as a resource. Tap into the great knowledge not available anywhere else. Sometimes you get it, othertimes ????

Well I'm going for it anyway.
    I'm pricing low but still making a few $$$ + gaining experience.

thanks to the helpers :thankyou::U Rock:

and THANKS! to all the others :noway::covereyes:

2xcapers

16. royster13

Apr 3, 2009
    Montrose BC
  17. jscarl

jscarl Very Active Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Why not contact some of the merchant members on S101. Most will give a good discount to members.

18. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    Any time I apply vynull to a posterboard type material I have to varnish the material first (I use 1-Shot UV Clear spray) or else the transfer tape will tear the paper when you take it off.
    You would be better off using coroplast, as these are only temporary signs.
    I would outsource them to a screenprinter if you want to use the Bristol Board.
    (anyone remember Hot Press and Cold Press?)
    Love....Jill

19. Circleville Signs

Sep 30, 2009
    Circleville, OH
    It is, and always will be, mind numbing to me that people ask for advice, get it, and then when they don't like it - they shoot the messenger.

The fact is that you are working too hard for too little money if you are doing this in vinyl.

It's a bad business decision. I realize you don't LIKE to hear that, but that doesn't change the fact that it is the truth.

Gary