• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Primary Circuit Isolation/Grounding Issue Question

Ragnarok1958

SIGH... seems we always get the odd ones in this industry! :banghead:

Here's the situation: A single 10' neon unit mounted above entrance-way of an apartment building. Neon electrodes into housings in metal boxes with secondary returns in flex. but neon passes through a wood 2x12 at one end. :omg: Existing primary installation is from the 1940's(?) - cloth covered wire in conduit/flex, with no ground wire.:omg:

We removed the (broken) neon for repair at the customer's request (and also disconnected the transformer from the primary circuit so as to prevent its being energized by accident).

Reinstalling the neon in the existing ungrounded configuration is not advisable in my view and would need updating. Not having a ground to work with presents a problem. I could "isolate" the circuit by inserting a PVC conduit between the existing EMT conduit and our installation, and run a ground to a ground rod installed in a nearby planter, that way our work would be grounded, but I do not know if this would be legal.

The other option is to tell the customer she needs to have an electrician run a grounded circuit to the location to meet code.

Thoughts?:help

TIA for your consideration,
R.

Ragnarok1958

Thank you. In the meantime I've been looking through code books and other resources and have come to the same conclusion. Our license does not allow us to do anything other than connect to existing electrical within 6' of the sign location.

:thankyou:
R.