• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Priming JV5 dampers

Peter_01

Some time ago, I noticed all black printheads on our JV 160 degrading. I've tried several nozzle washes, but the problem remained.

Searching for an answer on the net I was so lucky to stumble upon this forum.

Apparently we are one of the JV-users suffering from an ink-upgrade (HS-2 inks instead of HS) and it was decided that I should replace all black dampers to solve the problem. Replacing the dampers isn't hard, but I underestimated how hard it would be to prime them properly.

Simply performing an ink fill leaves the damper allmost empty and print quality hasn't improved at all. Priming them by sucking in ink with a syringe while the damper is connected to the tubing does seem to do the job but in order to keep the air from flowing back into the damper, I have to keep its membrane down while mounthing it again. No need to say that this is a hassle because of the lack of workspace and the fact that I'm not an octopus.

Can anyone explain to me how to do it properly (and possibly - if at all possible - hasslefree).

Regards,

Peter

Rooster

Second set of hands?

Try shooting DigitalBBQ a PM. He seemed to very knowledgeable in another thread about priming the dampers on a JV5. While they might be slightly different in shape than yours the principal should be the same.

Peter_01

Sucking up ink in the dampers using a syringue didn't work very well because I created a vacuum and air was sucked back in the dampers when I removed the syringue.

DigitalBBQ instructed me to open the valves on the ink-cartridges to allow the ink to flow freely.

Now priming is "easy" and fairly clean provided you take some basic measures.

artbot

filling dampers....

you have to tilt the damper backwards. so as the ink flows into the damper, it runs to the "roof" of the damper, thus the air keeps being pulled out. you can get a jv3 tall damper about 95% full this way. 100% isn't necessary.

you can use pressure against the outlet of the damper and that works fine. but it is a complex maneuver. attached are some pics of syringes that i made for filling dampers. my favorite one is the on the right. it has the end of a head adapter chopped off and then placed inside of the rubber pump tubing. i highly recommend everyone making one of these.

Attachments

• syringes.jpg
    syringes.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 114