• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print Advertising

nomad

Given the current state of print publications, such as newspapers, I'm curious how many of you still advertise in local or regional newspapers. Do you see much return on that investment? If you're not running ads in the paper, are you doing anything else locally to advertise your business?

1goodguy

online ads for me

Hi

I think there is a place for newspaper advertising, but it's probably not for sign shops doing less than 10 million a year. It seems that some decision makers for cities and counties (read older folk) still read papers- the vast majority of decision makers work in jobs where they are understaffed, and thus don't have time for reading the paper.

One man's 2 cents worth

Tom

w2csa

Cutting back on print and increasing social media, especially Facebook and craigslist.

oksigns

When I worked at another print shop in the city, we would be hit up by local papers to purchase ad space all the time. I saw it as a waste, so we focused on social media like Yelp and Google. These smaller ad-based papers are really on their way out(for our region atleast), and it is all about cultivating an audience.

It would take us hundreds of dollars and a few months to equal the amount of return on a few good reviews and simple promotions off FB, etc.

nomad

Thanks for the replies! I'm pretty much in the same boat as you guys. My faith in ROI from print has really diminished over the last few years. I was thinking about running a few ads, but may divert that funding to more online advertising targeted at my area.

2B

instead of doing a newspaper / magazine. take a look at doing a mailing list. with the cost of printing postcards and hurt that the USPS is in you can get some good coverage for minimal cost

nomad

I like that idea 2B. That's a pretty cost effective way to reach out to the exact audience you want your brand in front of. I may start working on that this weekend.

w2csa

I've recently started some email campaigns with very traceable results.
I have directly correlated sales to the email campaign..

nomad

I've recently started some email campaigns with very traceable results.
I have directly correlated sales to the email campaign..

As far as the email campaign, are you emailing people you already had information on, or are you blind emailing people off of some list? I like the metrics of email campaigns.

nomad

I shun any company that blind emails me.

100% agree. I've never found credibility in any blind email campaigns, and personally despise them. My email blasts only go out to current customers, and leads I have personally generated.