Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Print and cut media poll

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by danger, Feb 26, 2019.

top brands

1. 3M IJ180cv3/8518

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Avery 1105rs / 1360z

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. Oracal

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. danger

danger Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Whats everyone favorite material to print and cut. I'm using a latex printer. I'm not to happy with what I'm using now but not going to bash and its quality just looking to see what others are using.
    I would like this to be the same material I use for wrapping as well.
    Thank you,
    Steve

Tags:
  2. fresh

fresh Very Active Member

May 16, 2011
    nj
    It depends on the job. We use a lot of Arlon 4600lx for exterior signs, and often use GF 201 for interior / short term / decals.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. AGCharlotte

AGCharlotte Member

Feb 28, 2018
    Charlotte, NC
    mostly use IJ40 w/ 8508/8509 unless I have a need for cast (wraps/etc).

4. Jen M

Jen M New Member

Feb 26, 2019
    Las Vegas, NV
    I use mainly 3M IJ35C-10 or IJ35-20 (though not for wraps). I can get it pretty cheap, it prints on all my machines (eco-solv or Latex), cuts like a dream on the plotters, and lasts well out here in the Vegas heat (or monsoon season) for signs intended to be up less than 2 years. I use lams 8508(G) or 8510(M).

IJ180 for vehicle wraps is my go to combined with 8518. Likewise for long term outdoor signs (though with 8520/8519 lam).

As for using it for both regular signs and wraps, I find that bad for cost, depending.

I am not certain how your work usually pans out... But if your work is mainly wraps, then I think its alright to keep only one vinyl in stock to use on all jobs. However, if you have a good amount of lesser signs (not just vehicle wraps) then it would potentially be better to have both a Calendared and a Cast vinyl. The cost of a calendared vs. a cast more than explains this tactic. You would just make sure to group your jobs together on one vinyl type before switching to the other vinyl type during your daily work flow.

As an example, here the cost difference from 3M Calendared to 3M Cast is around $300-400 per roll.

(Think I might have yammered too much. sorry!)