• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print and cut off by 1/32"

itschillin

Is anyone having this problem where the cut is off by 1/32" for the entire sheet? It does not matter if I cut a small job or a large job. It is consistent throughout the entire sheet. It not that bad until I have to cut small letters or text that has a color outline. This may not be related but in Versaworks I can zoom in and it doesn't seem right. If I rotate the image the cut lines seem to move but it always cuts the same. When I check the cut line in the original file in Illustrator, it looks good. Is there maybe a way to adjust the cut at the Roland?

:help

Thanks for your help,
Troy

TheSnowman

On my Mimaki I can go in and adjust the horizontal and vertical cut, and change it by millimeters in whichever direction I need. Maybe this is something you could do too. I tried it and it ended up making my situation worse, but I know it can be done, and if yours is exactly consistent on the whole sheet, it may work for you.

itschillin

Sorry I forgot to mention this is a Roland SC-545EX Print & Cut on 3551RapidAir ad other materials as well.

Thanks,
Troy

itschillin

Thanks for your quick reply. I have tried that with no luck. I can adjust the scan and feed on the Roland but it has no change.

Thanks,
Troy

Bigdawg

Just Me
I've not found the Roland ( I have a VP540) to be that accurate on the cutting end. Same as you... we experience cuts off by as much as 1/8" sometimes. Anything I can print on there and cut with my Graphtec gets done that way - otherwise I feel like it's a 50/50 crap shoot when it comes to reloading and cutting on the Roland.

itschillin

Thanks Stacy,

That's kind of the response I've been getting around the shop here. I've only been running the Roland for 2 months and they have decided that I should make this machine do miracles. LOL

Thanks,
Troy

biggieg

I noticed when cutting my cuts were off because of too much pressure and not enough pinch rollers. So you might check to see if you have as many in as possible for the material you are cutting and that you are not using to much down force.

itschillin

Hi Pat,

We also have a Gerber plotter but it needs to be sent to the manufacturer to be re-calibrated. One of the feed motors does not feed at the same rate. Not sure when we will ship it though.

Thanks,
Troy

itschillin

Hi Rob,

I have noticed on some materials the pinch rollers leave indention marks in the material. I'll try adjusting the pressure and see what happens.

Thanks,
Troy

itschillin

I believe I may have solved the problem. I simply adjusted the feed and scan values. I printed a 1" square box with a contour cut slightly outside the box. I did a print and cut and noticed how far off the cut was. I adjusted the feed and scan settings, printed and cut another black box, and made adjustments until I thought it was corrrect. I'll probubly do this for every print and cut until I feel comfterble with a good setting.

Thanks All,
Troy

SKADSIGNS

My friends 300 Roland does not cut well either. I ordered 500 1.5 x 2.5 inch labels and they were all off about 1/16" He said thats as good as he has ever been able to get it.

biggieg

MY sp540 is dead on. I had to adjust the feed and scan when we first got it and it has been good since.

Charlie J

In my own experience and personal opinion, I would say that Graphtec cutters are superior to Roland when it comes to tracking and consistency. This is one of the reasons I went from an all in one roland printer/cutter to my current setup of a roland printer and graphtec cutter.

Not trying to start a flame fest.:rock-n-roll:

OADesign

The Rolands are just as solid as any other print cut machine. Its just that they need lots of TLC (read:adjustments/calibration). Ask you local Roland tech for the keystrokes to put the machine into maintenance mode. There are some print cut adjustments that can make those machines cut spot on.

Don't forget to do your ENVIRONMENTAL MATCH if you have a SP or older printer, the newer printers do this automatically. This helps the printer "hold" the settings.
If your printer is cutting 1/8" off (way too much!!) you need to adjust BOTH the Print/Cut and CROP Cut settings. Adjusting the print/cut is NOT the same as adjusting the Crop cut. Your Roland Dealer has a PDF on how to get better cut accuracies...and some must be in the Service mode to make the adjustments hold.