• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print and Cut Off

Goatshaver

I was doing a job that I don't laminate and printing and cutting in one shot. Without taking the material out of the machine. One side, closest to the home position, is way off in the feed direction and on the other side of the 48" sheet it's in the spot where it should be.

Now when I do a print and cut with marks, cut the sheet off the roll and put it back into the machine to cut it's just fine. All my adjustments that I do for my normal print and cut are just fine so I'm kinda scratching my head as to why it's off.

IMG_20200215_105111.jpg IMG_20200215_105022.jpg

Medina Signs

Old Member
I was doing a job that I don't laminate and printing and cutting in one shot. Without taking the material out of the machine. One side, closest to the home position, is way off in the feed direction and on the other side of the 48" sheet it's in the spot where it should be.

Now when I do a print and cut with marks, cut the sheet off the roll and put it back into the machine to cut it's just fine. All my adjustments that I do for my normal print and cut are just fine so I'm kinda scratching my head as to why it's off.

View attachment 145523 View attachment 145524
The media may be skewing due to a bad pinch roller wheel on the home side. The wheel could be slipping on the material.

Medina Signs

Old Member
The media may be skewing due to a bad pinch roller wheel on the home side. The wheel could be slipping on the material.

Goatshaver

That's what I thought, but why would it be ok if I cut the sheet and feed it back in versus just leaving on the roll and doing the kiss cuts.

CanuckSigns

Try running the job as a print/cut job with crop marks, as if you were going to laminate, but don't remove the material from the machine, but have it read the marks before cutting, is there any change? How about if you do remove it from the machine and reload? All of these processes use slightly different setups and can help pin point the issue.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Going by the pictures they use the crop marks for print and cut jobs (I do too, even without laminating, safest option).

I think he’s saying if he just says “cut after print” then it will print, read the reg marks then cut with an offset. If they cut it off then feed it back in, works fine.

Medina Signs

Old Member
When you do a print and cut without removing the printed media, the machine is rolling the media backwards to re-align - I still think a bad pinch wheel could be a problem. Also - make sure that the grit rollers on both sides are not contaminated with adhesive. When you remove and replace the material, there is no rolling backward - A quick and temporary fix may be to clean the roller wheels with solvent and test again.

Also involved in feed is a feed encoder wheel near the head park position - check to make sure it is not dirty or has ink on the wheel - if so, clean with 90% alcohol like you would clean the scan encoder strip - otherwise, the print and cut adjustment and the crop and cut adjustment in the user menu - I noticed your test print and cut test on your media is possibly a little off Not that bad - as you know there is also a crop and cut adjustment in the same menu.

I just went through a print and cut and crop and cut issue - changed the cut cable, the cutting board, wheels only to find out that the feed encoder wheel was contaminated with ink due to the waste ink tube being pinched by the waste bottle which backed up and blew a hose off the pump - it sprayed ink all over the works, the worst being the feed encoder wheel. Cleaned it off good and got better results.

Sorry, didn't mean to run on about it.

Goatshaver

Try running the job as a print/cut job with crop marks, as if you were going to laminate, but don't remove the material from the machine, but have it read the marks before cutting, is there any change? How about if you do remove it from the machine and reload? All of these processes use slightly different setups and can help pin point the issue.

Don't think I've tried that one yet. I think I did put the marks on it but it you do the Print and Cut (selection in the settings) it doesn't read the marks it just goes straight to cutting. So I'd have to roll the material back and set the base point to have it read I believe. I'll give it a go.

Goatshaver

When you do a print and cut without removing the printed media, the machine is rolling the media backwards to re-align - I still think a bad pinch wheel could be a problem. Also - make sure that the grit rollers on both sides are not contaminated with adhesive. When you remove and replace the material, there is no rolling backward - A quick and temporary fix may be to clean the roller wheels with solvent and test again.

Also involved in feed is a feed encoder wheel near the head park position - check to make sure it is not dirty or has ink on the wheel - if so, clean with 90% alcohol like you would clean the scan encoder strip - otherwise, the print and cut adjustment and the crop and cut adjustment in the user menu - I noticed your test print and cut test on your media is possibly a little off Not that bad - as you know there is also a crop and cut adjustment in the same menu.

I just went through a print and cut and crop and cut issue - changed the cut cable, the cutting board, wheels only to find out that the feed encoder wheel was contaminated with ink due to the waste ink tube being pinched by the waste bottle which backed up and blew a hose off the pump - it sprayed ink all over the works, the worst being the feed encoder wheel. Cleaned it off good and got better results.

Sorry, didn't mean to run on about it.

Never heard of a feed encoder. Do you mean the crop mark sensor under the cutting head?

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
What software are you running? For both RL5 and RL6 I send all jobs with crop marks. Even print and cut jobs. (Just in case).

it will always print the job, read the marks then cuts. Never just prints then cuts if I have the marks on. Maybe something there going wrong?

Goatshaver

What software are you running? For both RL5 and RL6 I send all jobs with crop marks. Even print and cut jobs. (Just in case).

it will always print the job, read the marks then cuts. Never just prints then cuts if I have the marks on. Maybe something there going wrong?

Versaworks

Joe House

Make sure that you're not using "Center on Vinyl" when doing any print and cut. That's a known issue that can cause print/cut registration issues.

Medina Signs

Old Member
Never heard of a feed encoder. Do you mean the crop mark sensor under the cutting head?

I have a VS 640 - The feed encoder can be found by taking the cover off the right side - behind the head carriage, attached to the main axle is a round plastic encoder wheel - it looks clear but there are position marks - if there is ink or grime on it - it can be cleaned with 90 percent isopropyl. If you have a different printer, you'll have to look and find it, but I believe its a pretty standard part.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
I believe you have an SP-540V, correct? You may have a bad pinch roller assembly, not just a bad pinch roller. Do a print-cut with just the outer rollers in the machine and then repeat the job with all the middle rollers installed. Compare the error in the cut and see if it is less with all the rollers installed. I have the same problem on a customer machine and am waiting for the 2 assemblies to be delivered from Roland. If you want to determine if the assemblies themselves are the issue, do the following. You will need to remove the door and front metal cover of the printer.
Get a fish scale that reads in ounces. Makes a loop out of some heavy string. Remove any media from the printer. With the rollers up, put the string loop behind the roller and close the rollers. Attach the scale to the loop and observe the force required to just start to lift the pinch roller off the grit roller. Do the same thing for the other outer roller and for all the middle rollers. All the forces should be close. On my customer's printer, I had 35 oz on the left roller, 48 oz on the right roller and 56 oz on all the middle rollers. Running with only the outer rollers with these pressure differences was consistent with direction of the skewing I was getting. It will be best to replace both assemblies at the same time.
I will report back after replacing the assemblies to confirm my diagnoses of the cause.

View attachment 145523 View attachment 145524
i am having the same issues i am laminating though. Roland wont help. I am on my third new machine and it is doing the same thing.