• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print brokering?

jc1cell

Here's my suggestion to the OP...not OP...but the OP...never mind.

Become the kind of broker T3 is talking about. And look into everything all others hate about brokers and don't do them.

I don't see anything wrong with brokering as long as you understand that you won't begin with very high margins. You will need to work for that.

jc

royster13

Brokering should not be a "blood sport"....If it is, time to find new partners in the process.....And as far as margins, if you find the right suppliers your margins will be fine....If you use a local shop that does a little wholesale on the side it will be on the low end....If you find motivated "trade" suppliers you can do much better.....

Locals Find!

OldPaint PhD

"ive dealt with a "broker" and "installers." in both cases, its never been a good profit making arrangement for ME. BROKERS GO OUT AND SELL JOBS...set a price with that client ..........then come to me and TELL ME, what he will pay for my labor/talent!!!! bull hockey!!! i dont play well with others who have no idea of what is a decent price and WHO should make most of the PROFIT. i told 1 broker who approached me in a paint store, after he ran his sales pitch on me, " YOU CANT AFFORD ME." he never bothered me again. installers, same thing. told one i would sell him RTA vinyl, for XXXX dollars. he liked the price. 1st couple jobs he came by gave me dimensions, i cut, weeded and taped his stuff. all was good. THEN....he started bringing me the material the sign went on, for me to ALSO APPLY THE VINYL. I DID A COUPLE, to be nice then it became a constant. and i was only getting the RTA price i quoted him. he brings me a job, i cant reproduce in vinyl, so i had to project it, and paint it. i gave him a bill for TOTAL TIME & TALENT............AND 1ST THING HE SAYS, i cant make any money on this!!!!! i asked him what he had done to complete the work other then SELL THE JOB!!!!!! and he wanted to make ALL THE PROFIT!!!!! last time i seen him)))))))))
this is why i use the term parasites!!!"

"Gino"
"There are brokers in any business and for me, I don't particularity like them because of what every one of them eventually became within weeks to months. They will tend to dictate to their vendor what they are going to pay and if you don't bow down to them and give in... they move on. They ultimately ruin things for many of the regulars and leave a bad taste in most consumers mouths and then the rest of us have to clean up their mess[es]."

Two good examples of what happens when a broker doesn't have a clue what he is doing and doesn't build relationships with his suppliers based on trust & mutual profitability.

I have never priced out a job till I knew what I could expect to pay for it before handing over a quote to the client. To do otherwise is just plain STUPID.

When your brokering your profit margins are never as good as a full time shop. You also don't have the overhead so you have to take that into account. I have learned never to tell any of my suppliers what I will pay them. I may negotiate with them based on what I need to make and making sure there is enough profit in it for them to continue working with me. If you demand of your suppliers they will tell you to pound sand or worse go out of business themselves if their not making money. Leaving you both screwed.

#1 rule to being a broker Printing or Signs. Know what the hell your talking about. Know the product your trying to sell as good as your supplier. If not your just a PITA to everyone. Clients, Suppliers, and other Brokers.

Mosh

I used to do work for a "broker" he was such a PITA!!!! Also his checks always bounced!
I no long do any subbing to anyone for this reason, they always think they deserve a discount and want to be done first.

pigsoooee

I have worked for a flexo and offset printing company for years. So I am pretty knowledgeable when it comes to stock material, diecuting,:thankyou: and the printers actual cost. I appreciate the advice from everyone and I will take this into consideration. I have a small screenprinting business and I am going to try some brokering on the side. Does anyone have any suggestions on wholesale printing companies that I might want to look into.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay, back to you.....

What do you actually mean by 'PRINT BROKERING' ??

Offset or digitally printed substrates ??

Are you going after business cards, brochures and other similar stuff..... or digitally printed vinyl, banners and substrates ??

dgtlrob

I will give my quick opinion -- since this blog seems to be very one sided. First if you are going to outsource you have to be more than sure of the people you are going in business with “partnering” plan on a long relationship from the beginning. They must be able to deliver the quality needed on the materials specked on time. The price should be negotiated and understood before the first job submitted. Reviewing the pricing structure every quarter is a good idea if volume changes significantly +/- to make it fare for all.
It takes allot to gain the trust of a new customer and in this market it is a very time consuming expensive process. A customer represents an income stream not a job.
Make sure your account is not stolen by your "partner"-- happens all the time unless you are dealing with very respectable company. Never give more info than you have to about your customer. If your volume moves up significantly -- contracts are very important and helpful in our litigious morally bankrupt society.

PromoGuyTy

BROKERING.......in the sign business, is some of the worst parasites ive ever met. why would you want to be one????

Ummm...I guess I want to be a "parasite" due to the fact that I view signs/paper print/ custom products etc., as a Business, to support a family...not a hobby...and not a form of "artistic expression" for me...

Or, maybe I want to be one because I like reasonable margins, on good volume, without significant overhead investment.

Maybe it's less employees....

Or, reduced liability.

Locals Find!

Ummm...I guess I want to be a "parasite" due to the fact that I view signs/paper print/ custom products etc., as a Business, to support a family...not a hobby...and not a form of "artistic expression" for me...

Or, maybe I want to be one because I like reasonable margins, on good volume, without significant overhead investment.

Or, reduced liability.

+1:goodpost:

OldPaint

Or, reduced liability.
now you understand a SYMBIOTIC RELATIONSHIP)))
symbiotic relationship between organisms of different species where one organism, the parasite, benefits at the expense of the other, the host.
you make money from the WORK,EQUIPMENT & INVESTMENT of the host.
as for people telling what price i WILL SELL to them...........thats when it becomes time to remove the PARASITE. I AM self employeed, and business savvy enough to make a living from MY OWN CAPABILITIES!!!!! have a BROKER, is ok if he works FOR YOU, rather then HIMSELF!!!!! which most do work for themselves, sign/printer shops are expendable to them. if they cant get their way with one place they move to the next. this is also not good for sign/print shop as these people now can tell your competition HOW YOU OPERATE & SOME OF YOUR CLIENT LIST!!!!!!!!

503WRAPS

Why is brokering bad? It allows you to offer products and services without a big capital investment. The sign industry currently has too much supply and slowing demand. Why buy another machine and add more capacity and additional downward pressure to the square foot cost in the industry?
As far as growing and starting a new venture good luck this is a very difficult time -- but it can be done if you are able to provide a higher level of service but first you have to figure out your target market and know your competition.

I agree, we broker most of our sticker orders that we can't do in-house and make a 45% margin. All I have to do is submit the artwork and wham bam thank you ma'am it's done in a few days. I'm however wanting to add sign equipment so I can expand our services and do more rush orders.

I started my screen printing business during the start of the down economy, and I'm almost glad I did.

OldPaint

your not BROKERING, you are SUBING out work YOUR SHOP(equipment, store front,)CANT PRODUCE!!!!!! i do this with yard signs of 100 or better. but I AM A SIGN SHOP, and produce most stuff IN HOUSE. YOU.........have a VESTED INTEREST IN THE FINAL PRODUCT.

dgtlrob

your not BROKERING, you are SUBING out work YOUR SHOP(equipment, store front,)CANT PRODUCE!!!!!! i do this with yard signs of 100 or better. but I AM A SIGN SHOP, and produce most stuff IN HOUSE. YOU.........have a VESTED INTEREST IN THE FINAL PRODUCT.

How does a broker not have a vested interest in the final product?
You make some of the most ridiculous statements I have read in some time.

"I AM self employeed, and business savvy enough to make a living from MY OWN CAPABILITIES!!!!! have a BROKER, is ok if he works FOR YOU, rather then HIMSELF!!!!!"
When is the last time you paid someone while you did the work?

I am self employed however I consider myself to have several bosses one for each of my large clients (you probably have very small clients or are just lost in the world of business)

503WRAPS

Yeah I guess it's subbing...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
How does a broker not have a vested interest in the final product?
You make some of the most ridiculous statements I have read in some time.

"I AM self employeed, and business savvy enough to make a living from MY OWN CAPABILITIES!!!!! have a BROKER, is ok if he works FOR YOU, rather then HIMSELF!!!!!"
When is the last time you paid someone while you did the work?

I am self employed however I consider myself to have several bosses one for each of my large clients (you probably have very small clients or are just lost in the world of business)

So dgl.... what does 'Double Naught' stand for in your big business world ?? :notworthy:

dgtlrob

So dgl.... what does 'Double Naught' stand for in your big business world ?? :notworthy:
(I Quoted OldPaint prior statement )

Then committed underneath--

dgtlrob

Yeah I guess it's subbing...

Please explain how a broker dosen't have vested interest --I am really looking forward to learning something from you! OH btw I am a broker
and have been for over twelve years I only do large format and grand format digital print work nothing else.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay, so then let me ask this again and slower so even you can understand.......

S-o d-g-l.... w-h-a-t d-o-e-s 'D-o-u-b-l-e N-a-u-g-h-t' s-t-a-n-d f-o-r i-n y-o-u-r b-i-g b-u-s-i-n-e-s-s w-o-r-l-d ??

dgtlrob

okay, so then let me ask this again and slower so even you can understand.......

s-o d-g-l.... W-h-a-t d-o-e-s 'd-o-u-b-l-e n-a-u-g-h-t' s-t-a-n-d f-o-r i-n y-o-u-r b-i-g b-u-s-i-n-e-s-s w-o-r-l-d ??

i have no idea -- but good luck with your quest ..

rfulford

To the original poster:
Act with uncompromising honesty, integrity and respect. Let your printers know what your expectations are and be clear on what you are providing. If you do so, everyone on this forum will be happy to see you walk in the door. If you come in with a briefcase, a suit, a disk and no clue looking to find pricing that allows an outrageous markup, then you will be like pretty like every print broker that elicits the responses you see on this post.