• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print brokering?

OldPaint

to be blunt........brokers HAVE NOTHING INVESTED, and are only interest in the profit they make from OTHERS WORK. to hard to understand??????
you CANT PRODUCE
you have no EQUIPMENT
you have no STORE FRONT
you have no LOYALTY TO ANY SIGN SHOP
you DESIGN, LAYOUT PRODUCE NOTHING
you are strictly A FREE LANCE SELLER OF OTHERS PRODUCTS.
THIS IS MY DEFINITION........AND EXPERIENCE WITH THEM!!!!

royster13

OP I think you must have got some "cranky pills" when you were in the hospital.....

While many of your points are correct, you missed the most important part....Folks that do work for me also profit....I help generate volume for them that allows them to pay for their equipment and overhead.....

As far as "brokering", it is best to avoid local shops and find "trade" suppliers......Local shops are often "medicated" just like OP (and just pretend to do wholesale work) but "trade" suppliers will welcome your orders and often give you better pricing and service....

pigsoooee

Man, I must have struck a nerve with this thread. But, the debate on whether print brokers are parasites or not isn't very helpful. The main reason I started this thread was to become more informed on how to become a broker and to get suggestions on good print shops. Sooo, if you have nothing to add regarding these subjects PLEASE DON'T POST! Thank you!:doh:

cdiesel

Man.. you're missing the whole point. The parasite posts are the most valuable part of this thread.

Is it possible to broker and not be a parasite? Absolutely.

You have a screen printing business, and are looking to expand into other areas without the expenditures of equipment, etc. That is subbing, not brokering perse. If things grow to a certain point, I'm sure you'd entertain bringing the subbed work in-house.

A true broker has no interest in producing anything.

While there are some brokers out there who are very good (honest, loyal, and most importantly knowledgable), the vast majority of brokers are parasitic.

dgtlrob

to be blunt........brokers HAVE NOTHING INVESTED, and are only interest in the profit they make from OTHERS WORK. to hard to understand??????
you CANT PRODUCE
you have no EQUIPMENT
you have no STORE FRONT
you have no LOYALTY TO ANY SIGN SHOP
you DESIGN, LAYOUT PRODUCE NOTHING
you are strictly A FREE LANCE SELLER OF OTHERS PRODUCTS.
THIS IS MY DEFINITION........AND EXPERIENCE WITH THEM!!!!

Where does it state that a broker doesn't have equipment or do design work or have a shop. I have all the above and have been brokering for over 12 years. I have 3 printers / laminators / and finishing equipment welders ext (way more than the average sign shop). I broker for allot of reasons and I am not going to change. I know more about the economic market conditions printers/rips/ ink/ finishing ext. than most people on this board. You have to when you broker. On a good month I will move over 200k in digital too much for any one of my partners to handle in addition to there regular work flow.
I don't know why I am posting -- I thought I could help a few people out and I would get away from the finical blogs that I spend way too much time on. It seems like a bunch on this board know everything and there is no need for me..

OVER AND OUT!

[/FONT]

OldPaint

THEN YOU ARE NOT A BROKER...........you are a sign/print shop that does a lot of SUB-CONTRACTING!!!!!!!!!!!! i guess people tend to make up new definitions for words...us "old sign folks",who have had encounters over the 30 YEARS..... with these type of people, A BROKER IS AS I DESCRIBED THEM!!!!!!!! sub-contractor, contract labor are not BROKERS!!!!
but if you want to be know as a broker, then get rid of all your equipment)))))))

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Where does it state that a broker doesn't have equipment or do design work or have a shop. I have all the above and have been brokering for over 12 years. I have 3 printers / laminators / and finishing equipment welders ext (way more than the average sign shop). I broker for allot of reasons and I am not going to change. I know more about the economic market conditions printers/rips/ ink/ finishing ext. than most people on this board. You have to when you broker. On a good month I will move over 200k in digital too much for any one of my partners to handle in addition to there regular work flow.
I don't know why I am posting -- I thought I could help a few people out and I would get away from the finical blogs that I spend way too much time on. It seems like a bunch on this board know everything and there is no need for me..

OVER AND OUT!

[/FONT]

Well, you finally answered my question...... Double Naught