• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print/Cut solutions Mutoh Mimaki or Roland

jeffkics

Sign Says
I am sure it has been discussed as great lengths at different times in the past
I am a medium sized signshop, banners, vehicle graphics/wraps, and other signs on ACM, etc... I have been using a Roland SP for 12 years, and I just got a PPP check, and thinking what better to use my government lottery win on but upgrading to a faster print/cut solution.

Mutoh Mimaki Roland, all solutions will be considered.

My main interests are what model I should get. Considerations in the following would be appreciated

Print quality and speed
Dry time to laminate
Scratch resistance when not laminating (banners and such)
Long run Print/Cut accuracy 8'+
Durability/Quality of the model
Ease of maintaining
Price

GO!

TYIA!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The new Mimaki print/cut machines are better than the new Roland ones. Higher quality and speed, great ink scratch resistance, and it will dry/off gas the same as Roland. Roland's new machines lock you out of service mode so you can't do your own head alignments or have an independent tech work on it. That's a deal killer for me.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
My 2¢...2 separate machines. You dont tie up your printer when cutting. Your printer is running while the cutter is moving at the same time. Greater flexibility and profit available.

rjssigns

Very happy with my Mutoh 1624X. Solid colors look like cut vinyl. Dries fast too. Cutting is handled by a Summa D140. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you have a Mutoh or Mimaki dealer close to your shop buy from them even if it costs more. Bought my Mutoh from a dealer about 20 minutes away. Could I have gotten it cheaper? Absolutely. Would I have the same level of service from a dealer in the next state. Nope.

Been there done that and learned a stupidly expensive lesson. Don't be me. Buy local because if you don't you will have a brick until the tech gets there. Then hope he has the right parts on the truck.

p.s. Mimaki print/cut in the lab at school is a runner. Very nice prints too.

Last edited:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Very happy with my Mutoh 1624X. Solid colors look like cut vinyl. Dries fast too. Cutting is handled by a Summa D140. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you have a Mutoh or Mimaki dealer close to your shop buy from them even if it costs more. Bought my Mutoh from a dealer about 20 minutes away. Could I have gotten it cheaper? Absolutely. Would I have the same level of service from a dealer in the next state. Nope.

Been there done that and learned a stupidly expensive lesson. Don't be me. Buy local because if you don't you will have a brick until the tech gets there. Then hope he has the right parts on the truck.

p.s. Mimaki print/cut in the lab at school is a runner. Very nice prints too.

I like my Mutoh, I would probably like a Mimaki or Roland as well. Good support is key. If that is not available a monthly sacrifice to the print gods is in order.
Whatever brand you end up going with - learn the maintenance schedule and stick with it.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
I’m going to assume the dealer(s) are all within the same area/can fix your machines in the same timescales.

I’ve always had great luck with the mimaki’s. Great machines and very reliable.

but I will say that since we switched to a separate printer and cutter it’s made life 10x easier. Would highly recommend if you have the budget/space.