• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print Durability

jr_tech

Hi,

I have a client that I have run 13 oz banners for on a fairly regular basis. I normally use UltraFlex 13oz gloss baner material. I recently ran a 10"x3" job for him on 10 oz. Ultraflex gloss (at his request) and was dismayed at the fact that the banner scratched very easily. The print was allowed to cure for at least a day. It was a heavy coverage banner with a black to blue gradient, but so was the 13 oz. 8'x5' banner I ran for him before.

The only thing that was differnt this time, besides the lighter material, was that the print sat in the backseat (in a plastic sleeve) most of the day while I ran errands. It was a warm day and I wonder if maybe the accumulated heat may have made the print more scratch prone.

I tried to scratch a small proof print I made with my fingernail and it did scratch. I tried rubbing alcohol and it took the ink right off, but I don't think my customer will go around splashing alcohol on his prints and rubbing them.

Does anyone have tips or tricks on heavy coverage prints to ensure that my customer won't scratch his prints again. He admits it was his fault and the print was delivered scratch free, perhaps a spray on product?

I use a Mutoh Falcon II Outdoor.

Thanks.

-JR

Biker Scout

My very picky clients get a laminated banner. Huge pain in the arse, I hate doing it, I try to tell them it's only meant to be temporary signage, blah, blah, blah....

But the ones who I know use the banners over and over again, such at outdoor events, trade shows throughout the year get laminated. Not all of them, only some of the very picky ones. These are also the same people who roll them print side in, slide them around on the ground during set-up, and probably the Mexican Hat Dance on top of them as well.

1banner

That's interesting to hear, 2 weeks ago ran 24- 8'x4' banners on 10oz mat'l and noticed we had the same scratch-off issue w/ our Mimaki. We also regularly use 13oz Ultraflex gloss and @ our customers request on a friday afternoon @ 4:15pm, had to use a 10oz mat'l. So Key banner was the only option to p/u from supplier by 5:00pm, to have finished and delivered on Monday morning.

These did not sit in back of vehicle on a warm day and they are hanging from rafters in a showroom so sratching is not a problem for this job. Having no experience or history using 10oz banner mat'l and to hear you had same issue w/ 10 oz Ultraflex, I'm curious as to possible reasons why...never had scrathing of ink w/ 13oz Ultraflex.

Is it just a 10oz thing :help

gabagoo

I too run a Mimaki and the scuffing can be brutal. Keep the heads on thick and it's better but if you in the slightest mishandle the banner you have a problem. If the banner has high ink coverage then we use a liquid lam and then everything is fine. We apply the liquid lam using a 3 inch roller first to get it covered then quickly I use a 9" foam roller that we stop from rolling and smooth the laminate lightly to create an even flow. Works great and I dont worry about mishandling...of course I charge to do that naturally, but if they plan on reusing the banner better safe than sorry.

jr_tech

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I wonder if the thickness of the material might have anything to do with the scratch resistance. Based on this I may just use 13oz for everything. I have not had this problem with 13oz material.

Vinyl also happens to be relatively scratch resistant, so it's very odd that this 10 oz. stuff would be so easy to scratch. I noticed that matte material also happens to be a little more scratch prone than gloss.

Could this be a reason that some people prefer full solvent inks? I'm guessing they go into the material more than ecosolvent inks.

signpro

Manager
i find the matte banners scratch less than the glossier ones... just what i've noticed after a year & half of running them on my Roland...