• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Print grey/gray

Stetch

Hello!

Me as many others have issues with grey it seems. When I choose cmyk 0.0.0.50 in illustrator the rip converts it to like 32.23.21.0.
I dont want that. I only want to print the grey without any color mixed into it. How do I stop the rip destroying my greys? Tried almost everything now it seems.
They either turn out greenish, blueish, pinkish.

Fogra39.
Onyx Thrive 12.
HP Latex 360.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

dypinc

Set the RIP to print Pure Primaries which requires that the input profile matches the document intent, or use the Color Replacement function to change the output number from 32.23.21.0 to 0.0.0.50, or what ever percentage you like.

On the other hand creating a good linearization and output profile should get you neutral greys using CMYKcm combinations. Or course you need to keep up on the Linearization/Calibration to maintain them.

You can also try totally disabling color management if your RIP has that option. Some Tips allow this and will print the CMYK value exactly as you enter it.

The downside to this is you may not be happy with 50 K. Depending of the printer, it may look grainy and washed out without the other colors mixed in.

Best case scenario is custom color profiling but that can be a bit of a task if your doing it for the first time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

AKwrapguy

Also don't forget that if you are going to use laminate that might also change the color. For example if you're going to use 3m 8518 it has a slight yellowish tint to it.

MikePro

agreed to above, your profile is the culprit.

either print with ICC Profiles turned OFF, or do a color replacement in the RIP, or export your file with custom CMYK/RGB profiles with heavy black generation. for the latter, there are plenty of youtube videos for Illustrator/Photoshop that show you how to export K-only greys/greyscale.

Stetch

agreed to above, your profile is the culprit.

either print with ICC Profiles turned OFF, or do a color replacement in the RIP, or export your file with custom CMYK/RGB profiles with heavy black generation. for the latter, there are plenty of youtube videos for Illustrator/Photoshop that show you how to export K-only greys/greyscale.[/]

Yeah I guess .... Stuff shouldn’t be too easy. Not fun the :p

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Also don't forget that if you are going to use laminate that might also change the color. For example if you're going to use 3m 8518 it has a slight yellowish tint to it.

This is true...most of my correct greys will have a tiny bit of purplish hue to them, then once laminated, that gets cancelled out and appears grey.

Be careful of lighting conditions when evaluating your prints. Grey will look different depending on if you evaluate under different color light like 7000k vs 6000k vs 5500k vs sunlight. Ultimately you want to evaluate under the same light as the installation site.

Stetch

Be careful of lighting conditions when evaluating your prints. Grey will look different depending on if you evaluate under different color light like 7000k vs 6000k vs 5500k vs sunlight. Ultimately you want to evaluate under the same light as the installation site.

Yeah thats another issue. I have this yellow lights where I work. Useless. At least the printer have a built-in light so I can see the colors more correctly.