Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Print Head Recovery

Discussion in 'Roland' started by Signs101Admin, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Signs101Admin

Signs101Admin Owner

Sep 30, 2016
    New Jersey
    I have a Roland VP-300 that needs head replacement or head recovery anyone have a good method to do this myself? I see that printhead911 sells a kit for recovery any help on a direction would be appreciated.

Tags:
  2. Jim Hancock

Jim Hancock Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Delray Beach, Florida
  3. netsol

netsol Active Member

Apr 26, 2016
    englishtown, nj
    Paul, you could send the head to someone TRUSTWORTHY who has a print doctor

other than that...

4. Jim Hancock

Jim Hancock Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Delray Beach, Florida
    netsol,
    Sounds like you had a bad experience. Care to elaborate?

5. Joe House

Joe House Active Member

Feb 5, 2004
    WA
    In my (limited) experience, DX4 heads are too fragile to be successfully reclaimed. Is the print head old? Or did it sit too long without use/maintenance? An old (high shot count) print head will not likely be recoverable by any means. If there is ink that's dried inside the head, it can theoretically be dissolved with solvent and time. I have reclaimed one head by simply soaking it in a bath of cleaning fluid and using a syringe to pull solvent backwards through the head and out the manifold. It didn't print well, but it certainly could be called some degree of recovery. I did it more for the challenge rather than to use it afterwards. If you've got the time to spare, it could at least be a fun, educational experiment.
    I have sent back a couple of print heads to a vendor to have them ultrasonically cleaned, but both times the results were negative.

Good Luck

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. netsol

netsol Active Member

Apr 26, 2016
    englishtown, nj
    just the experience of purchasing some recovered heads. no good seems to come of it

i think by the time we think the head needs recovery, that ship has already sailed, it's probably too late

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. hand851

hand851 Roland Mutoh & Mimaki inks digiprint-parts.com

Nov 22, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Please replace the head. I have a head doc and have NOT been able to reclaim or refurbish DX4 heads.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. netsol

netsol Active Member

Apr 26, 2016
    englishtown, nj

has it been effective with other heads?

9. hand851

hand851 Roland Mutoh & Mimaki inks digiprint-parts.com

Nov 22, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    I will be trying UV heads next month.