• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print Issue - Static Cling

KC1990

Hi All!

Wondering if anyone has printed on Drytac Vizicling with success? (8mil Clear PVC Static Cling)
Printing on a Roland VG540 with TR2 Ink setup and can't seem to get a good result.
It's like the ink doesn't set into the material and spreads out before drying.
I've had similar results in the past while printing on materials that aren't rated for solvent printing, but Vizicling does state it is rated for solvent use.

Typically I would use Gerber Edge FX for a job like this however it is going to be out of commission for a while.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20230417_120438.jpg
    20230417_120438.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 170

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I haven't printed on that exact version of clear cling but do remember it being a bit tricky on our Roland.

I seem to remember needing lots of heat (which of course makes the media buckle) and printing at a high resolution (720x1440) and slow head speed, to allow the ink to cure before it pools.

We could always print these for you on our Mimaki UCJV if you're really stuck. (We're in Winnipeg)

Hope you can get it to work though!

garyroy

Do you have the correct profile from the manufacturer for that printer/ink setup and material?
Also the correct heat setting?

KC1990

Thanks for the offer White Haus, I'll play around with the heat settings.
Gary, There is no profile available for this material / printer combo unfortunately.
Tried both ColorBase & Roland Profile Center with no luck.

petepaz

try some of the different profiles. there used to be a static cling profile but unfortunately static cling as always been an issue on our roland eco-solvent printers. i generally try to run static cling on our UV printers

garyroy

May be worth having a guy make a profile for you if this material is going to be a regular run for you. Just sayin'.

Static Cling vinyl contain lots of plasticizer, which can make ink adhesion more challenging. Try cleaning a defined area with Isopropyl Alcohol and mark that area with a sharpie pen. Then print a job that extends through the cleaned and non-cleaned areas and see if there is a difference in image quality in the cleaned area.