• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print - Lam - Cut problem

Colin

Roland SP-540i

I’m experiencing an odd problem with a simple print/lam/cut job (54” media). When the cut-head comes out, it does the usual “read” on the first set of marks, but then when it goes across to acquire the second mark, the machine jogs the media rearwards a lot, therefore never finding the second dot. I’ve seen it do this before on occasion, but the “jog” was very slight, and it eventually does find the second mark, but now, it’s jogging the media back something like a quarter-inch every half-second as it moves across! I’ve never seen it jog the media that much before.

I’ve turned the machine off and re-started, including re-clamping the media, but it persists in doing this. It is aligned perfectly. What gives?

T_K

I've had my machine do this. The times I've noticed it happen is when I chose the "Center on media" option in VW. If you want an easier alignment, be sure to deselect that option when printing.
Beyond that, I've just done the "try, try again" method, and finally gotten it to read the registration marks. But it's been at least a couple months since I had this issue.

One thing I've seen on the forums is debate on whether or not the laminate makes a difference. For print-lam-cut jobs, I'm mostly running the Avery 1005 SC & DOL 1060 combo, with almost no issues.
If you're using a thicker laminate, it could possibly effect the registration. But I've never noticed a difference myself, having run both Avery cast and Oracal calendered vinyl & laminate this way.

Colin

I've had my machine do this. The times I've noticed it happen is when I chose the "Center on media" option in VW. If you want an easier alignment, be sure to deselect that option when printing.

Whenever I do a Print/Lam/Cut job, I never choose "Center on Media". I think I recall VW ignoring that option anyway after one particular update a few years ago; it just defaults it back to "left" when crop marks are selected.

One thing I've seen on the forums is debate on whether or not the laminate makes a difference. For print-lam-cut jobs, I'm mostly running the Avery 1005 SC & DOL 1060 combo, with almost no issues. If you're using a thicker laminate, it could possibly effect the registration. But I've never noticed a difference myself, having run both Avery cast and Oracal calendered vinyl & laminate this way.

I'm using OraGuard 210 matte; never had this issue with it, in fact, I just performed the "cut" action on another (different) P/L/C job, and it worked fine. The only thing I can think of, is that my K-head is not printing very well (fuzzy on fine print), so what I did just now is take a super-fine black felt pen and carefully went over the small triangular registration marks, as they weren't very clear. I'm doubtful that this will work, as the other job that cut OK just now had the same quality of marks.

shrug

Ragnabrok

The printer reads the first crop mark and rectangle to get the angle of the sheet, and if loaded crooked looks for where the second crop mark should be. Likely, you've loaded the sheet straight, but the printer is reading the crop mark as crooked. This is usually because the crop sensor is dirty or broken, the voltage on it is too high or low, or the crop marks themselves are printed fuzzy from the black head going bad.

voltage is in service menu->cutting menu->outlevel check->test print. it prints a black square then parks the sensor on it, reading the voltage on the screen in a min/max current. Voltage on an SP300V is 2.5, but you could go up to 2.8. there is a plastic screw on the cut carriage board you turn to adjust.

T_K

In my experience, matte is more difficult for the printer to read than on gloss. I think the matte texture makes things a little fuzzy for the reader. But it should still work.
You might take the advice above and check on the sensor part itself.

woolly

Happens once in awhile I have put it down to distortion during lamination
On my pro2 the fourth attempt it goes straight across and finds it

Colin

Here's another thing that might be the culprit? The fine/small registration marks (which I've gone over with a fine felt pen) are really close to the black block of printed ink. Could that be throwing it off?

Attachments

• P1070397.JPG
    P1070397.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 101

Colin

I've answered my own question - that was it! I placed a tiny triangle of white cast vinyl on the corner of the black block of printed ink, and that solved the problem.

Thanks for the tips & input!

T_K

Glad you got it working. I'm still not sure why that printed area would make a difference. It scans the circle and the rectangle for registration. The "V" near the print is just for a manual alignment. But if covering up the print works, great!

Colin

Glad you got it working. I'm still not sure why that printed area would make a difference. It scans the circle and the rectangle for registration. The "V" near the print is just for a manual alignment. But if covering up the print works, great!

So the "V" marks don't get looked at during the printer's seeking mode?

T_K

So the "V" marks don't get looked at during the printer's seeking mode?

Not to my understanding. If you look at your manual under the "Part of Practice" section (pp. 126-131 in mine), you'll find some details on the printing & cutting separately.

If you watch the machine, it moves over the dot, does a 2 axis check for position, moves to the rectangle, does 2 axis check, then goes to the other dots. It never looks at the "V" marks.

But if you just can't get it to read the dots, you can set it up manually - which takes a lot of time and after an hour or two I never succeeded. But basically, you line up the cutting blade at the base of each V and set a base point. That's the purpose of those marks.

Colin

Hmm, that is perplexing then as to why this one wouldn't cooperate, even with multiple attempts.

Thanks again!

PMac

I always manually register my marks on large print/lam/cut jobs.
After you've done it a few times it's just as fast and just as accurate as the auto function.