• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print, Laminate, Cut and Apply Fine Text

rdm01

I have a client who is looking for some door vinyl. There text is very fine (think Zapfino, etc.). We were working with 3M colors until another partner entered the project and decided that the color wasn't close enough. They now want to print, laminate and cut for a Pantone match. I haven't ever done anything this thin with printed vinyl on an install. Will it last? I love the look of colored vinyl much more than printed, plus it seems to wear better. Thoughts?

darby07

Would you be screenprinting the vinyl to match a pms or would you just try and color match it digitally? also what is your real concern with small vinyl lettering when printed vs colored vinyl?

rdm01

Digitally match. We come very close. My real concern is that cut vinyl lays down so nice because it is so thin. It just sits on the window nice. Digitally, the vinyl seems thicker, then add the lam and you have a really thick, narrow line on your window waiting to get caught be cleaners, people brushing by, etc.

On some vehicles we have has some pretty fine text/graphic elements, but this one seems to take the cake.

darby07

Here's a thought: What if you digitally print the text on clear vinyl, bubble cut, and then apply? Hell, you could even digitally print face down, and apply on to the back side of the window

J Hill Designs

Here's a thought: What if you digitally print the text on clear vinyl, bubble cut, and then apply? Hell, you could even digitally print face down, and apply on to the back side of the window

the white of the vinyl is usually a big factor in hitting most if not all pms colors

paul luszcz

The biggest difference in the vinyl would be the reverse side. The printed vinyl will most likely be white when viewed through the glass although some vinyls have gray adhesive. This alone disqualifies printed vinyl for most jobs.

Color accuracy when applying to glass is another vote for using solid color cast vinyl.

If your customer insists on printed color, use a high performance vinyl like 3M 180, skip the Comply adhesive (which looks bad on glass, skip the laminate if you can to keep it thin, let it sit for a day or two before you cut the letters from a solid rectangle of color. This will come pretty close.

splizaat

The biggest difference in the vinyl would be the reverse side. The printed vinyl will most likely be white when viewed through the glass although some vinyls have gray adhesive. This alone disqualifies printed vinyl for most jobs.

Color accuracy when applying to glass is another vote for using solid color cast vinyl.

If your customer insists on printed color, use a high performance vinyl like 3M 180, skip the Comply adhesive (which looks bad on glass, skip the laminate if you can to keep it thin, let it sit for a day or two before you cut the letters from a solid rectangle of color. This will come pretty close.

Not to pick on you....but this is terrible. Firstly, most vinyls come with grey adhesive if they're worth a damn or made for this particular job. The only white-backed vinyls we have come across are the cheesiest cheap promotional sticker vinyls.

Skipping laminate will mean it only lasts 2-3 years...so would you rather have color match 100%, or vinyl that looks like crap after 2 years?

And why waste all the ink and print a huge square of color when you can design it correctly with a bleed on the lettering? That's a lazy way to do it.

darby07

Not to pick on you....but this is terrible. Firstly, most vinyls come with grey adhesive if they're worth a damn or made for this particular job. The only white-backed vinyls we have come across are the cheesiest cheap promotional sticker vinyls.

Skipping laminate will mean it only lasts 2-3 years...so would you rather have color match 100%, or vinyl that looks like crap after 2 years?

And why waste all the ink and print a huge square of color when you can design it correctly with a bleed on the lettering? That's a lazy way to do it.

Not to pick on you...But you don't even have the details of the application