• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print - Laminate - Cut - Having Problems

Gordy Saunders

Okey folks, I've read these instructions so many times I am sick of looking at them

I am printing on a Roland XC 540.

Then I laminate and I cannot get it to cut in any fashion.

No automatic crop mark detection cutting.

No aligning manually cutting.

I am doing something wrong and I don't know what it is.

In the CUT CONTROL BOX - I am selecting the print only feature. Is that correct?

After it prints I select the cut only feature. Is that correct.

There are no instructions on that point so I just using my intuitive notions to make these disicisions.

Then after I laminate it and reinstall the print in the machine and change it to cut only I select the print feature because there is not a cut command that I have been able to find.

The instruction manual that I have is vague and offers no explaination for the questions that arise during this process.

Can someone walk me through this process.

Thank you in advance.

tanneji

Gordy

You should not change the rollers after you print. Make sure to use the same width to cut. Also, make sure to select crop mark printing when you print it. Then, reload the material and move the scroll the print to where the registration marks are just in front of the rollers. Then set this as your basepoint. Then select cut only and press print. This is what works for us.

Good Luck!

Sign Works

I am using a Roland Versacamm SP-300V with Versaworks RIP so the process should be identical, it sounds like your doing everything correctly, I RIP the file as Print & Cut, after ripping the file I change it to Print Only and print the file, laminate print and reload media then change it to Cut Only. After reloading media I always align the cutting blade just to the right of the first crop mark and press Base Point on the printers keyboard then send the Cut Only file and printer always detects crop marks and proceeds to cutting. Are you printing Crop Marks? Are you leaving specified length of media (approx. 4") before and after crop marks? Are you ripping the file as Print & Cut? These are the only 3 things I can think of that you might be overlooking.

Sign Works

Gordy

You should not change the rollers after you print. Make sure to use the same width to cut. Also, make sure to select crop mark printing when you print it. Then, reload the material and move the scroll the print to where the registration marks are just in front of the rollers. Then set this as your basepoint. Then select cut only and press print. This is what works for us.

Good Luck!

I have moved the pinch rollers between print operation and cut operation without any problems. I purposely tried this from the get go just out of curiousity to see if it had any effect on crop mark detection and it does not, at least it dosen't on my machine.

tanneji

We were told that by the tech. I figured it would be alright but I also didn't want to risk the waste in case the tech was wrong.

txsurfer

are you printing the registration marks or boxes and circles on the print? they are black and in each corner?

Gordy Saunders

Hey Sign Works - Thanks for the directions. I was ripping in print only.

Now another problem that I have is that the crop marks on the leading edge of the print media are set to close to the print and the top edge of the curved letters are not cutting.

How do I move the crop marks further away from the print?

Also want to give many thanks for all the help.

This site is the greatest!!!!

Sign Works

Hey Sign Works - Thanks for the directions. I was ripping in print only.

Now another problem that I have is that the crop marks on the leading edge of the print media are set to close to the print and the top edge of the curved letters are not cutting.

How do I move the crop marks further away from the print?

Also want to give many thanks for all the help.

This site is the greatest!!!!

My guess is that this issue has nothing to do with crop mark position, I'll bet you using .EPS files in Versaworks, correct? Versaworks needs a margin set for .EPS files. In Versaworks go to your Edit Menu & select Quee Settings, now click the file format button and enter a margin for .EPS files, mine is set to .10" but I believe you can go as low as .01", let us know if this fix's your problem.

Gordy Saunders

Sign Works - Everything is working great. That was just the info that I needed. I knew that I was missing some navigational steps in there - I just couldn't figure out what they were. Your help and the help of others is GREATLY APPRIECIATED!

synergy_jim

There is no reason whatsoever to rip the file as print and cut.

You can rip as print only and make sure you have the crop marks turned on. After laminating, put the print in and change the job to cut and send it....

There is no gain by ripping as print & cut.

The only time I turn print and cut on is if we are cutting unlaminated prints after they print, or If I want to make sure all of my cut paths are showing up in the rip before I rip the job.