• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print Laminate Cut

scottfree13

Scottfree Graphics
I have a Roland SP-540V and was wandering if anyone can answer this question for me? I am wanting to print decals in sheets of 100 then laminate and cut. I printed out 5 sheets of these and set them aside to let them offgas, the next day I laminated them and got ready to cut. During the time that I was doing all that my partner set up and printed a couple of banners, when I set the rollers back and reloaded my material the cut was off by a quite bit. I could not get any of the 5 sheets to cut properly and went back to the drawing board. So, my big question is. Do I have to leave the rollers right where they were when I first printed the material, or should I be able to print other things and come back later to do my cutting?

ChiknNutz

As long as it printed with the corner crop marks, should not matter what was printed in between. The optical sensor will pick up the marks and adjust for minor skew.

S

scarface

Should print the graphics with crop marks so the machine reads them and adjusts accordingly. As long as the file is still setup in the RIP (versaworks). I leave all jobs in the RIP until they are 100% complete.

threads1

When you reloaded your material in the printer did you set the starting point? This has to be done on the printer so it knows where to read your crop (incorrect term) marks.

This is the big black dot with the black rectangle next to it.

Salmoneye

Did you leave the file in a riped state in versaworks or did you re rip it? I am wondering if a layout setting could have been slightly different.

scottfree13

Scottfree Graphics
I did leave it ripped in Versaworks. The only other thing that I could think of was that after I moved the rollers back into place I hit the "Get media width" button. Maybe that was enough to throw it off. I will print some cheap stuff and experiment a bit. Thanks for all the answers.

Mosh

Should not have anything to do with it. In fact in our shop we ofen print on one machine and cut it on a completely different one.

nate

I did leave it ripped in Versaworks. The only other thing that I could think of was that after I moved the rollers back into place I hit the "Get media width" button. Maybe that was enough to throw it off. I will print some cheap stuff and experiment a bit. Thanks for all the answers.

At some point VersaWorks had a bug where you couldn't both center everything on the media AND hit "Get Media Width" after loading the laminated media. I've not used VersaWorks in a while so I don't know if they ever fixed it, but it was on the bug list for a while.

Nope-- it's still there. See Problem #7 on this site: http://download.rolanddg.jp/VersaWorks/Issue_E3021.htm

The easiest thing to do is to not hit "Get Media Width" when loading the laminated material back in.

3ksm

I have a roland xc-540 and i have printed , degassed, laminated then set print aside for 1 or 2 days while i set up for printing scrim banner. I insert the laminated print into roland ,set rollers then after it finds media width i just open versa works and open the original file , select cut only then hit print...... I dont select " get media width " i did this once and ruined a design .. :frustrated:as long as i do this process i havent had any trouble

scottfree13

Scottfree Graphics
At some point VersaWorks had a bug where you couldn't both center everything on the media AND hit "Get Media Width" after loading the laminated media. I've not used VersaWorks in a while so I don't know if they ever fixed it, but it was on the bug list for a while.

Nope-- it's still there. See Problem #7 on this site: http://download.rolanddg.jp/VersaWorks/Issue_E3021.htm

The easiest thing to do is to not hit "Get Media Width" when loading the laminated material back in.

I think this hit the nail on the head. Thanks for the link, lots of useful info there. Once again, everyones help will keep me out of a bind. You folks are the best.

Mainframe

If you print with center on the media, you have to cut with center on the media, & also do not hit get media width when it is time to cut. As mentioned above.

MrDesignGuy

I have a roland xc-540 and i have printed , degassed, laminated then set print aside for 1 or 2 days while i set up for printing scrim banner. I insert the laminated print into roland ,set rollers then after it finds media width i just open versa works and open the original file , select cut only then hit print...... I dont select " get media width " i did this once and ruined a design .. :frustrated:as long as i do this process i havent had any trouble

I've done the same. I NEVER hit "get media width". I've noticed this will make all cut lines offset. I learned the hard way on a 6 foot trailer graphic printed on Oracal 3951RA laminated with Oragaurd 290. Expensive mistake!:banghead:

jdoug5170

We have just experienced a similar situation with our SP300 along with a low/high voltage problem with the optical eye. When the tech came to adjust voltage (gotta learn how to do this stuff!) we made mention of new found bug in Versaworks that breaks the accuracy if you do the "Get media width" when reloading. OK to set start point from the roland though.

Doug

S

scarface

all you need to do is save the file in the RIP, open the options, switch it to cut only and your game. It's not hard at all