• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print, Laminate, then cut line up?

NSDdesigns

I suppose this is the right section. I am sort of a newbie to this whole thing. New to the production side of it at least, Have been designing for years.

Anyways, I use to outsource my printing, but now that I have the machineary, I want to know exactly how to go about this process of printing, laminating then die cutting.

I and creating mX and ATV graphics on my Roland sp-300, then I need to laminate them due to the abuse they take. (Havent bought the laminator yet, need to know if I need hot or cold and which one to get, still researching and any advice is much appreciated!!) Then after its all laminated I need to put it back into the Roland and die it all out, but my question is how do I get it all to line up again after I print the sheet and take it out of the macine? How does it know where to start the die process?

I know in the past I had to make matching marks on the two layers. Art layer and Die layer. But as far as the production goes, Im lost. Can anyone PLEASE help me out. MUCH appreciated!!!!

Don't harp on the new guy to much. Basic question but I'd like to make sure I "get it" before I start wasting material and time.

boxerbay

the roland should have software that does this for you. call you local vendor and ask them to have someone come out to show you.

we, like 401, use th egraphtec plotter. it has an illustrator plug in that adds registration marks to your EPS file. you then save the EPS. open EPS in RIP to print. let dry. laminate. then load laminated prints into graphtec. open same EPS file with registration marks in Illustrator. then cut from illustrator using graphtec plug in. when you run the CM2 plug in it open a new window giving you the option to cut by layer or by color.

your roland workflow will be similar but different.

you want a cold laminator...we are pondering the 54'' $2000 one on ebay...anyone else have one of these cheapies?

You get a hot laminator people will just want you to laminate their posters and newspaper articles and crap...you load the hot lam rolls and wait for them to heat up and they will get mad when you screw up their priceless 15 dollar job

rjssigns

There are some folks on here that have had great success with the "cheapie" laminators. Thread is floating around somewhere. It was fairly recent.

CanuckSigns

you want a cold laminator...we are pondering the 54'' $2000 one on ebay...anyone else have one of these cheapies?

You get a hot laminator people will just want you to laminate their posters and newspaper articles and crap...you load the hot lam rolls and wait for them to heat up and they will get mad when you screw up their priceless 15 dollar job

We tell people that we don't laminate anything that can't be re-printed.

We had someone bring in some "artwork" they made that had 20 or so staples in the paper, and she couldn't understand why I wouldn't run it through our $7000 machine lol!