• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

print on high performance calender vinyl

Dave Stacey

For various reasons I want to print & laminate a logo on regular calender vinyl instead of Oracal 3641 gloss. I'm using a Roland SP-540V Are there any issues that I should know of?
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]Thanks Dave[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

iSign

Calendared vinyl is intermediate, not premium

Orajet has been known to call their intermediate calendared vinyl a "premium intermediate" because, in my opinion, when it first came on the scene, it was glossy and looked better then other intermediate vinyls... but prior to then, I think the term "premium" had come to be synonymous with 2 mil CAST vinyl, so I am of a mind to continue reserving the term premium for cast vinyl.

Other then the semantics outlined above, I don't see a problem with it. Just print a sample, cure it, and try a tape test to ensure good adhesion. I have printed on a number of standard cut vinyl media's with a full solvent ink and had good results.

Dave Stacey

Thanks
I understand the cast / calender difference. Avery has a economy calender which seems to have a different finish & what they call "700 high performance". I have some 54" wrap material that seems over kill for 2 door logos on a car. I'm not comfortable with the cheaper Oracle that I have.
I'm going to give the "700 series" a shot & laminate it tomorrow.

Thanks Dave

if were printing anything for cars/turcks etc we use cast with cast lam.... sometimes its worth doing that extra even if you don't feel its worth it, covers your butt incase something happens!

paul luszcz

Cast and calendered vinyl look the same when they leave the shop, but calendered vinyl shrinks over time. I would only use it for short term products.