Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

print on high performance calender vinyl

Discussion in 'Vinyl' started by Dave Stacey, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Dave Stacey

Dave Stacey Member

Jan 5, 2005
    For various reasons I want to print & laminate a logo on regular calender vinyl instead of Oracal 3641 gloss. I'm using a Roland SP-540V Are there any issues that I should know of?
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Thanks Dave[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

Tags:
  2. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    Calendared vinyl is intermediate, not premium

Orajet has been known to call their intermediate calendared vinyl a "premium intermediate" because, in my opinion, when it first came on the scene, it was glossy and looked better then other intermediate vinyls... but prior to then, I think the term "premium" had come to be synonymous with 2 mil CAST vinyl, so I am of a mind to continue reserving the term premium for cast vinyl.

Other then the semantics outlined above, I don't see a problem with it. Just print a sample, cure it, and try a tape test to ensure good adhesion. I have printed on a number of standard cut vinyl media's with a full solvent ink and had good results.

3. Dave Stacey

Dave Stacey Member

Jan 5, 2005
    Thanks
    I understand the cast / calender difference. Avery has a economy calender which seems to have a different finish & what they call "700 high performance". I have some 54" wrap material that seems over kill for 2 door logos on a car. I'm not comfortable with the cheaper Oracle that I have.
    I'm going to give the "700 series" a shot & laminate it tomorrow.

Thanks Dave

4. rushworks graphics

rushworks graphics Very Active Member

Jun 29, 2010
    if were printing anything for cars/turcks etc we use cast with cast lam.... sometimes its worth doing that extra even if you don't feel its worth it, covers your butt incase something happens!

5. paul luszcz

paul luszcz Active Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Cast and calendered vinyl look the same when they leave the shop, but calendered vinyl shrinks over time. I would only use it for short term products.