• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print on MDO sealing question

nwexpressions

Made a sign using MDO with a laminated print that goes right to the edges of the board. Pre-sealed the edges of MDO, then used a seal-it pen around the edge of the print. Still concerned that the print will lift. Should I be? I would prefer not to cap it with a border as it will alter the look. Suggestions?

Deaton Design

I use mdo for almost all my signs, but hadnt really done any prints on mdo until recently.
When I did, instead of the latex I usually use, the pieces where the print went, I used oil base. I attached the print, leaving a quarter inch border around it, and edge sealed. No problems as of yet, and its been out in all kinds of weather.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We do tons of signs this way. No problem if you painted the MDO first with at least two coats of oil-based top coat. No need to use a sealant pen. If you want to protect the edges... laminate the entire thing with an 1/8" extension all around. Only aqueous prints and coated media need the edges protected.

If you didn't paint the MDO first and relied on the prime coat from the factory.... no amount of edge sealing will help you now. Before you give an inferior product to a customer resulting in a bad reputation.... remove the print, paint the board and do it over.

Shovelhead

Man has built a better mousetrap.......why would anyone possibly prime and paint an outdated substrate like MDO for a digital print?

nwexpressions

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm worrying for nothing - I have done all that is recommended. This is just the first time I have had a print come to the edge.

Man has built a better mousetrap.......why would anyone possibly prime and paint an outdated substrate like MDO for a digital print?
Shovelhead - When you live in Northern Maine and you can't get a sheet of other substrates without paying an arm and a leg for shipping. You work with what you can get!! Why can't you be nice???

Deaton Design

Shovelhead, MDO is not an outdated substrate. Maybe in your area, but not here, and quite a few signmakers still use it with great results.

Shovelhead

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm worrying for nothing - I have done all that is recommended. This is just the first time I have had a print come to the edge.

Shovelhead - When you live in Northern Maine and you can't get a sheet of other substrates without paying an arm and a leg for shipping. You work with what you can get!! Why can't you be nice???

I'd do the same if it was hanging around the shop just to get rid of it.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

parrott

We use MDO all the time. We print, mount and install to 3/4" primed MDO. Never had any issues. These are typically your construction/job site signs, etc. We would never sell this as a permanent sign, but is great for 2-3 year durability.

gnemmas

We still use MDO when erecting with two 4x4's for its structure strength, digital printed or not.

What will be the alternative, Shovel?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Out of curiosity... why did you 'BUMP' this thread ??

Do you require additional information ??

GP

Everyone use Oil based paint?

I was using flat latex on these pseudo-temporary real estate/construction signs with great results.

Just had my first problem.

I just picked up some oil based, but I know I am going to hate the increased drying time.

GP

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Everyone use Oil based paint?

I was using flat latex on these pseudo-temporary real estate/construction signs with great results.

Just had my first problem.

I just picked up some oil based, but I know I am going to hate the increased drying time.

GP

If you don't have ample room..... paint it last thing of the day so nothing drops on your panel while working on other projects. It will be fine the next morning.