• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print on mirror

LarryW

Hi I was wanting to print on mirrors and was wondering if anyone else is doing this or tried it. I have a FB500 Thanks for any help.

DerbyCitySignGuy

My only concern would be the UV light possibly reflecting off the mirror and curing ink on the bottom of the carriage/heads. Whether that would actually happen or not, I'm not sure. I wasn't brave enough to try when we had a customer request a direct print to mirror. Instead, we ended up printing second surface to a piece of glass, then placing that over a mirror to give the illusion that the print was actually on the mirror surface. It turned out really well.

Cranniga1

We did a solvent print on optically clear and mounted it to a huge mirror for a bar. I believe the media was 3M IJ8150. It turned out great, Ill try to find the pictures

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
How far are the lamps from the heads on an FB500?

Our Océ ones are at least 3 inches away, and we've printed onto mirrors weekly for the last two years without any issues whatsoever.

greysquirrel

Use your 550...

media type
shuttered trailing lamp...low power. Head heigh at .100 0r .105 above media

clean with flush and wipes after printing

DerbyCitySignGuy

I always suspected that it would be okay to print on a mirror, but then I thought about ink curing in/on the heads and did some quick math and decided it would be far safer to pay for a piece of glass instead of replacing 14 heads at $3.5k a pop. Haha!