• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print Problem - Ink Clogg?

Designer85

Hi guys, I'm having trouble with my magenta not printing. I did several cleanings, a couple of medium head cleanings, replaced my almost empty (but not quite) magenta with a fresh one and still nothing. When doing test prints there are only a few magenta lines printing.

I replaced the old pump with a new one about 6 months ago so I doubt it's the pump. I don't print daily as this the SP-300 is just a compliment to my overall business, so it had been about 3 or 4 days since I last used it. It carries out it's own periodic cleaning so I didn't think it would clogg.

Don't want to influence your suggestions, but just a point of note - I've never replaced the dampers or capping stations since I've had it (about a year) As I said before, I don't print as much as most here so I don't know if they need to be replaced or not.

Please help! Got a few jobs waiting. Thanks.

jc1cell

Make sure when the cleanings are being done that you're actually seeing some ink flow through the hoses...It may be going through the process and not actually doing anything.

Another thing you could try is letting the heads soak in a bit of solvent for about an hour so it can clear any dry ink on the head and then run some nozzle tests and then a color bar test to see how it prints.

jc

Designer85

I'll try that.

I filled the capping station with solvent, but only let it sit for a few minutes before running a test print. I'll try letting it sit for about an hour and try. Thanks.

Designer85

Let the solvent sit in capping station for an hour and still magenta is not working. The yellow's test print turned out fine.

Do you think it could be the damper? From what I can see the magenta in particular is well below the horizontal line.

I'm running out of options (and patience) Please help!

high impact

Did you have a head strike???

if not, you can disconnect a tube at the pump and use a syringe to pull ink through the ink tube to make sure you don't have an air pocket.

If not, it may need capping stations...mine started doing this after a year and the capping stations weren't sealing the nozzles anymore. Every time it sat for a few days it took hours of screwing around to get it to print correctly.

IF you think the nozzles are plugged you may try a big "no no"...VERY GENTLY DAB some cleaning solution onto the actual nozzles themselves then let them soak in the capping stations for a while, after a good soak do a medium clean and print a row of magenta blocks. This is what it took to get mine going. After replacing the capping stations it can sit for a week or more and print a perfect test print right out of the gate.

Good luck!!!

Goodgirl

STOP CLEANING THE MACHINE! You're wasting ink. It sounds like it's a cable that is burnt out. Are you out of warranty? If so I can probably talk you through how to trouble shoot this, but you are going to have to take things apart! So if you have a warranty that would be better. Let me know!

But don't waste anymore ink just yet!

Designer85

Don't think I've had a head strike, but who knows.

I bought the printer used. I think it's an '04 model. It had been in storage for a few months till I bought it and I had to do the syringe trick to get all the ink lines to start working. I haven't had to do that again since.

I did try that this time, but I couldn't pull any ink through, not even the yellow. It just sucked out air. I did this several times and nothing.

Goodgirl, can you explain why you think it is a cable burnt out? Thanks.

ballgame

If it just sucked air then the problem is going to be the capping station. It is not getting a good seal around the head

Designer85

The capping station could be the problem. Can I just replace the cap top? Is there a good/cheap place to buy the replacement part?

high impact

The capping station could be the CAUSE but it will not clear the nozzles if they are plugged. So...even if you change the capping station you still need further work. Possibly a head, dampers, etc...

It may be time to call a technician.

Any Roland dealer can get the parts you may need.

jc1cell

I'm still waiting on goodgirls reply to her original post.....curious.

There are ways you can be certain it's the capping. Test it out before buying anything....If when you do a cleaning there is no ink running into the waste tank then that could be an indicator.

Regarding the head itself....soak a couple of lint free cloths with solvent and place them against the head (without rubbing the head) and let it sit there for a couple of hours (if soaked enough you can let it sit overnight) and test again. If necesary take the head out and soak that overnight in solvent (try running some solvent directly through the head with a sirynge).

jc

ERUS37

well looks like i'm not the only one in need of a print head for the sp300..

ewell i've found one out of the country for 480 us dollars but i might be a little weary bout it

Designer85

I do see the cyan and black ink dripping into the waste tank, but I don't see the yellow or magenta.

But on test prints the yellow is printing but not the magenta. If it were the capping station wouldn't it keep both colors from printing?