• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Print problem Roland BN-20

sekorse

Hello, I've had a big problem with my BN-20 printer for a few days now, first it all started because I wanted to change the print head damper (because the yellow wasn't coming out anymore), during the 1st reassembly I had a bit of liquid in the print head cable plugs, and when I restarted I had a problem with the print head leaking (all the inks were coming out at the same time), Then, after asking a professional for advice, I replaced the 4 print head cables with new ones and cleaned the head (and dried it completely). After changing the cables, I was able to run a few nozzle tests, then after about 10 tests, I ran a versawork print test and the problem came back. ... do you know what to do? Thanks a lot

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230929_165641_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230929_165641_Gallery.jpg
    874.7 KB · Views: 442
  • Screenshot_20230929_165659_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230929_165659_Gallery.jpg
    641.3 KB · Views: 134

damonCA21

From the sound of it you have fried the head. The nozzle test doesn't print with all the nozzles and uses a tiny amount of ink. When you run the actual print test it uses all the nozzles and more ink.
If you had ink get into the print head cable plugs this will short the head if you tried to use it without completely cleaning it out before trying to power on the printer.

damonCA21

It will either be the head, or it could be the head carriage board but this is less likely. Normally if this goes then whatever you try and print will just print solid black over everything, even on the nozzle test.
I would also order more new head cables as well as the head as these need to be completely clean when you fit them

sekorse

Thank you for your reply, what I don't understand is that she managed to print a test print perfectly before starting to have the problem... see attached photo

Attachments

• Snapchat-1038554064.jpg
    Snapchat-1038554064.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 135

sekorse

And it did the same thing to me before I changed the 4 cables (it worked for a while, then the problem came back after a few prints).

damonCA21

It could be if there was ink in the cable slots it was ok at first, then worked its way down further and shorted the head, or there was some ink had spilled somewhere else you hadn't noticed that caused it.

sekorse

What I mean is that the problem occurred during the 1st reassembly (where the liquid got in), but during the 2nd reassembly with the new cables it worked at first, then the problem came back. How could the card have burned out if it worked again between the 2 reassemblies... it would have repaired itself between the 2 and burned out a second time?

adamfromayr

I feel your pain Make sure you read my posts Make sure cables went in one is different one only has 29 pins the other 3 have 29 pins

did you try other inks?

adamfromayr

Check the 2 x fuses on the mainboard

Will still print if its blown but will cause issues

Ive Done everything and had issues with mine

So ive ordered loads of spare parts and just fired my head also

The head has fragile side cables, i just snapped mine so watch those side cables!

damonCA21

One thing that could be worth replacing is the print carriage board. These can cause problems. I have seen them before print fine sometimes, and other times would cause the same issue you have where they just fire one or all of the channels constantly and flood the vinyl with ink. If they are failing this can be quite random

netsol

What I mean is that the problem occurred during the 1st reassembly (where the liquid got in), but during the 2nd reassembly with the new cables it worked at first, then the problem came back. How could the card have burned out if it worked again between the 2 reassemblies... it would have repaired itself between the 2 and burned out a second time?
the ink is HIGHLY CONDUCTIVE, you really have to be meticulous cleaning after a spill. many times, people don't remove the ink BETWEEN THE CABLES, where the ribbons are stacked. ink has very low surface tension & manages to leach into places you would think were impossible for it to reach

adamfromayr

One thing that could be worth replacing is the print carriage board. These can cause problems. I have seen them before print fine sometimes, and other times would cause the same issue you have where they just fire one or all of the channels constantly and flood the vinyl with ink. If they are failing this can be quite random
Good point! I ordered new carriage board cables hardly no one sells them had to order from Digisupplies and wait a MONTH till they get here!

I had one x bad carriage board cable bad end on one

adamfromayr

the ink is HIGHLY CONDUCTIVE, you really have to be meticulous cleaning after a spill. many times, people don't remove the ink BETWEEN THE CABLES, where the ribbons are stacked. ink has very low surface tension & manages to leach into places you would think were impossible for it to reach
GREAT POINT Im glad you made that note, as its very important im glad you said that!

as i was wondering about this last night! What parts are conductive i was thinking of using silicone at one point and wondered last night if it was conductive or not

sekorse

Thanks, this board ?
Screenshot_20230930_133801_Chrome.jpg

sekorse

Check the 2 x fuses on the mainboard

Will still print if its blown but will cause issues

Ive Done everything and had issues with mine

So ive ordered loads of spare parts and just fired my head also

The head has fragile side cables, i just snapped mine so watch those side cables!
Yes I have a fuse on the mainboard and a fuse on the power board, how do I check them please? Thanks

adamfromayr

I used a multi-meter

I just done mine guess what

FUSE Blown

So took my last DX7 printhead off inside it was soaking

This is what would have blown my fuse

GUTTED Lost 3 x DX7 Printheads now

I used needle pinch nose pliers

a LED Magnifying glass

Yes my board still lit up and worked partially but fuse was dead!

adamfromayr

Definitely! 100%

The head is super fragile so dont take it out unless YOU HAVE TO!

Thats the last resort unless you see it needs cleaned around the sides or looks damaged etc!

Im going to have to order a new head also once its here my machine will be 100% ready so all i have to do is slowly and carefully place the head in a clean "Garage" he he

Checking fuses is so much easier than taking out a head dont be tempted !