• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print resolution differences on Roland printers

messmedia

Hi, people.
It is almost SUFFERING with first printer buying decisions. Nothing is good 4 all, everything is good up to a point ... in my budget, of course :{)

Anyway, due to slightly better print quality (mainly because of smaller smallest dot size), and dealer/service provider 10 minutes drive from my shop, I decided earlier to go with 54'' Mutoh VJ 1304 (actually, should place my order TODAY).
But, as my fortune often strikes me (just my luck, I guess) - a Roland dealer contacted me, with an offer that made me hold my order.

They are offering a VersaArt RS 640 printer, 14k euros price (so, no discount), but, I get 30 440ml ESM cartridges with that purchase (offer is open untill the end of this year) - so it is great discount, in my opinion.

And I was going to change my decision (not only because of big ... 3K €... PRESENT I get from Roland, but also I was found of Roland printers earlier, I trust their reliability and color management, - and I decided on Mutoh ONLY BECAUSE OF PRINT QUALITY AND A SERVICE provider being in my town).
But now, searching through RS specifications, I saw it has maximum print resolution 1440x720 dpi, while MUTOH has 1440x1440 dpi.

Now, with bigger smallest dot size - I can understand the look of prints, but what this resolution 1440x720 dpi means? How is it comparing to 1440x1440 - with grain and overall smoothness and print quality?

I know SolJet has 1440x1440 resolution, while VP and RS has this, 1440x720.
I was planing on printing some (not much though, but pretty regular) - art reproductions, photos ... .... for shows we were going to organize so, it is kinda important to get all the info I can on this.

So, anyone have expirience in this? Some sp/vp versacamm user upgraded to SJs? Or general knowledge or expirience from anyone, please?
Thanx in advance ...

design unfolds

I think if you are doing art reproduction, better go for higher quality machine. Actually i do not know Roland VP and SP are 1440dpi x 720dpi. What i can find on their menu is MAX 1440dpi. They didn't mention any 720dpi at all. If that is the case they are very tricky.

messmedia

I know - they're NOT MADE for art REPRODUCTION, what I ment was - we mean to organise some competitions - art, digital art, photography etc and we're gonna print those for show. Now, it doesn't have to be giclee quality or something, but I need machine which will make it , ... OK!

We did something like this already, while I was working for another firm - and we did it on MUTOH VJ 1204.

@design unfolds - I got a link for U (Australian roland, I guess):
http://www.rolanddga.com/products/printers/rs640/default.asp#subNavTop

Also, http://advancedcolorsolutions.com/shopexd.asp?id=843

Now, this bad boy should do reproductions very well (also mentioned in last R-WORLD issue):
http://www.advancedcolorsolutions.com/shopexd.asp?id=736

So, it seems I WANT TO GET THIS ROLAND, but not if my printed outcome much worse than on these MUTOHs. I'll also be doing a lot of stickers, contour cut, doomed, and the letters may be as little as 2'' x 1/2 '', with little text on them (3pt, 5pt), and I can't have my machine do not print that text correctly and as sharp as it must be!

Last edited:

joeshaul

I have little stickers that I printed out with my SP300V for attaching to the back of small signs that I make, has my company name, address, and phone number. Their dimensions are: 2"x0.5", 10 point arial, 3 lines of text, and look good. Haven't gone much smaller than that though.

messmedia

^ so, different information on different roland sites?

$#*U@(*&^$^ :{)

best not to think 'bout it, huh?

Just let myself go.
Close eyes, get the wallet out and HAND it to the dealer!!! :{)

:{)

mac_man_luke

we have an RS640 and its a great printer - great image quality

we print labels with as little as 6pt type no problems

For photographic quality its not as good as our Epson 7880 (eg 8 colour water-based)
but its perfectly adequate for its purpose

messmedia

So, all good news for me and my business, and my clients, and ... .
Bad news for my wallet!
THANK YOU ALL, people