• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print Shop Environment

chevylane

Hello everyone,

We are currently in the process of setting up our shop space to accommodate a Roland sp 540i printer and a USTECH 65" laminator. Being almost completely rookie in this game, my question is what are the main factors to take into consideration before we can begin printing and laminating quality decals? for example: How clean should this space be? I know dust is never a good thing but do we need to keep it sterile as an operating room? How about temperature changes and humidity levels? What are some issues the experienced people out there have come across that I can hopefully avoid?
Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

rjssigns

You want the area to be as clean as possible.

Temperature should be between 60 and 70 degrees F.

Humidity IMO is a much bigger issue. We keep a close eye on it and run between 50-60%

We used to have our laminator in a different area(not very warm) and never had issues all the way down to 45 degrees F.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There are many threads on this very subject. Try a search and you'll find much information.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You want the area to be as clean as possible.

Temperature should be between 60 and 70 degrees F.

Humidity IMO is a much bigger issue. We keep a close eye on it and run between 50-60%

We used to have our laminator in a different area(not very warm) and never had issues all the way down to 45 degrees F.

Pretty much covers it. All of these numbers are within the range of Epson based printer technology recommendations. One thing I would add is get a good surge protector. Most warranties are voided if it turns out that bad power blew the boards.

Marie

This may be a little obvious - but make sure that you have sufficient room all around your printer for loading and unloading material. We have a 7 ft guy who works here, and it is a tight squeeze for him to fit behind our printer with a roll of material to load.

Install some GFIC Breakers on the circuit panel. Or Equipment Protection Ground Fault Interuptors. I recommend these highly. Much better then a surge protector. They are set to pop at lower limits then a surge protector. Take a look. Can be expensive but a good investment.

I agree with the above. I would be more worried about humidity then temperature. The printer can adjust the heating in the printing area but it can't adjust the humidity level.

chevylane

I have definitely considered the working space around the machines but hadnt thought of surge protection/GFI's. thanks for those tips. My biggest concern at the moment is how dust and airborne particles will come into play considereing the space we rent was once a wood working shop. We have considered building a room within the larger space to keep the airborn crud out but don't want to go through that hassle if it is unnecessary.
thanks again hope everyone is enjoying the new year:thankyou:

DravidDavid

I have definitely considered the working space around the machines but hadnt thought of surge protection/GFI's. thanks for those tips. My biggest concern at the moment is how dust and airborne particles will come into play considereing the space we rent was once a wood working shop. We have considered building a room within the larger space to keep the airborn crud out but don't want to go through that hassle if it is unnecessary.
thanks again hope everyone is enjoying the new year:thankyou:

Dust is a non issue if you sweep/vacuum frequently enough. If you have a shop dog that sheds...I wish you good luck, haha.