Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions Print test

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by RICHARD SIMMONS, Aug 5, 2019.

1. RICHARD SIMMONS

RICHARD SIMMONS Member

Jul 12, 2019
    Panama city, Panama
    Hi group! I currently own a Roland RE-640 and use the Versa Woks program. I have seen on other machines that it is possible to print a printhead test, while printing a file. Is it possible to do this in Versa Woks? Someone told me that an external file can be made and printed with any file. Anyone know about this?

Tags:
  2. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

Not sure what you are talking about. Why would you want a head test pattern in the middle of a sign?

3. bannertime

bannertime Very Active Member

Sep 8, 2016
    No
    Most rips allow you to print color swatches and other misc info and marks along the outside of orders. Since it's digital printing there aren't any alignment marks that I know of.

To my knowledge you can't just print a printhead alignment image. The machine does specific things with the heads while doing the test. So sending an alignment file wouldn't help either.

4. zspace

zspace Merchant Member

Jul 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Are you talking about CMYK Color Bars that run in the margin to identify missing or deflected jets?

We use them through Onyx. I don't run Roland printers, so I can't tell you where to turn those on in VersaWorks, but someone should know.

5. RICHARD SIMMONS

RICHARD SIMMONS Member

Jul 12, 2019
    Panama city, Panama
    Correct !! That is what I am looking for !

6. RICHARD SIMMONS

RICHARD SIMMONS Member

Jul 12, 2019
    Panama city, Panama
    CMYK Color Bars that run in the margin (left or right) to identify missing or deflected jets

7. RICHARD SIMMONS

RICHARD SIMMONS Member

Jul 12, 2019
    Panama city, Panama
    CMYK Color Bars that run in the margin (left or right) to identify missing or deflected jets

8. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I know what you're talking about, sometimes they're referred to as gutter color bars.
    I looked and didn't see any in Versa Works. I'm used to Onyx, Wasatch, Flexi & can tell you
    Versa Works is a very basic, no extras or options, program.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

The color bars you are referring to are not for the purpose of seeing print head deflection/dropout. They are used in the offset printing world to show the spot and/or process colors used on the print. A solid bar of Cyan, magenta, yellow, or black will show defects if the printer has bad nozzles, but you'll be able to see them better in the print itself, which is likely bigger. Your printer overlaps passes when making the solid bar, so it obscures exactly where the problem comes from.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Not 100 % true, I used them all the time with my grand format printers. With earlier print heads and even some now, if you don't use a color for a few minutes, those nozzles will drop out... so the color bar kept the nozzles "primed". Also, you can see issues with the nozzles before it becomes noticeable in the print, allowing you to stop the print and prime the heads.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 1