• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Print test

RICHARD SIMMONS

Hi group! I currently own a Roland RE-640 and use the Versa Woks program. I have seen on other machines that it is possible to print a printhead test, while printing a file. Is it possible to do this in Versa Woks? Someone told me that an external file can be made and printed with any file. Anyone know about this?

unclebun

Not sure what you are talking about. Why would you want a head test pattern in the middle of a sign?

bannertime

Most rips allow you to print color swatches and other misc info and marks along the outside of orders. Since it's digital printing there aren't any alignment marks that I know of.

To my knowledge you can't just print a printhead alignment image. The machine does specific things with the heads while doing the test. So sending an alignment file wouldn't help either.

zspace

Premium Subscriber
Hi group! I currently own a Roland RE-640 and use the Versa Woks program. I have seen on other machines that it is possible to print a printhead test, while printing a file. Is it possible to do this in Versa Woks? Someone told me that an external file can be made and printed with any file. Anyone know about this?

Are you talking about CMYK Color Bars that run in the margin to identify missing or deflected jets?

We use them through Onyx. I don't run Roland printers, so I can't tell you where to turn those on in VersaWorks, but someone should know.

RICHARD SIMMONS

Are you talking about CMYK Color Bars that run in the margin to identify missing or deflected jets?

We use them through Onyx. I don't run Roland printers, so I can't tell you where to turn those on in VersaWorks, but someone should know.
Correct !! That is what I am looking for !

RICHARD SIMMONS

Most rips allow you to print color swatches and other misc info and marks along the outside of orders. Since it's digital printing there aren't any alignment marks that I know of.

To my knowledge you can't just print a printhead alignment image. The machine does specific things with the heads while doing the test. So sending an alignment file wouldn't help either.
CMYK Color Bars that run in the margin (left or right) to identify missing or deflected jets

Andy D

I know what you're talking about, sometimes they're referred to as gutter color bars.
I looked and didn't see any in Versa Works. I'm used to Onyx, Wasatch, Flexi & can tell you
Versa Works is a very basic, no extras or options, program.

unclebun

The color bars you are referring to are not for the purpose of seeing print head deflection/dropout. They are used in the offset printing world to show the spot and/or process colors used on the print. A solid bar of Cyan, magenta, yellow, or black will show defects if the printer has bad nozzles, but you'll be able to see them better in the print itself, which is likely bigger. Your printer overlaps passes when making the solid bar, so it obscures exactly where the problem comes from.

Andy D

The color bars you are referring to are not for the purpose of seeing print head deflection/dropout. They are used in the offset printing world to show the spot and/or process colors used on the print. A solid bar of Cyan, magenta, yellow, or black will show defects if the printer has bad nozzles, but you'll be able to see them better in the print itself, which is likely bigger. Your printer overlaps passes when making the solid bar, so it obscures exactly where the problem comes from.
Not 100 % true, I used them all the time with my grand format printers. With earlier print heads and even some now, if you don't use a color for a few minutes, those nozzles will drop out... so the color bar kept the nozzles "primed". Also, you can see issues with the nozzles before it becomes noticeable in the print, allowing you to stop the print and prime the heads.

Last edited: