• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print to Mutoh from Illustrator...

bendeane

So I've got it to where I can select the ValueJet 1614 from the printer list in Illustrator. How do I access the media profiles? Can't seem to find them. Do I have to set the defaults in Production Manager (Flexi) so that when I finally hit print, it prints with the right media profile???

Any thoughts?

Thanks for all the help.

bendeane

I've found plenty of posts about printing straight from Illustrator, Corel, etc. What gives? Are these people not actually doing that?

HaroldDesign

I suppose there are ways, but if you have flexi or any other rip, it's what will make it possible to build or use existing profiles for various materials, which you will definitely need!

TheSnowman

I think I was messing around once and printed to my Mimaki once from Illustrator. I had no control over the machine. It was just laying down a ton of ink randomly on the vinyl. That's what the rip is for.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
There is a print driver included in Felxi pro version 8.1 and up, that will install and allow printing to your large format printer from any application.
I think it is an option you have to check off when you run the install app off the main DVD. If it is not on the main dvd/cd it might be on the second one that includes the fonts and stuff (I don't keep my dvds at work so can't check).
I don't know how well it works as I just drag and drop my print files directly into the Production manager and didn't see the need to install it.

wayne k
guam usa

MrTopgun21

In this day and age of Illustrator and Photoshop being such powerful and common software tools in the graphic design industry it seems ridiculous to have to shell out $1500 for RIP software just to print. Talk about a workflow bottle neck.

WildWestDesigns

In this day and age of Illustrator and Photoshop being such powerful and common software tools in the graphic design industry it seems ridiculous to have to shell out $1500 for RIP software just to print. Talk about a workflow bottle neck.

Be thankful that's all you would have to shell out for.

I think the biggest issue is which way does Ai go? Does it go toward a print platform? CAD/CAM? Cartography? All of them? There are a lot of different uses that Ai has for a lot of people that I'm sure wish that it was more in depth in their particular "arena".

You could always hope that Adobe and Mutoh (or enter whatever print manufacture company here) does something like Corel and Wilcom did, that would probably be about the only way to get what you want unless you go the plugin route (which has it's shortcomings).

MrTopgun21

Can you recommend a Corel product that would properly print to my Mutoh Falcon outdoor?
I just bought it used and would like to use it on a part-time basis.

Matt-Tastic

Every piece of software that prints direct (other than a RIP) outputs PostScript data. The device receiving that data has to have a postscript interpreter in order to convert that to actual dots of ink. Many indoor (aqueous) printers have build in PS handlers, but there are very few, if any, outdoor (Solvent/UV/Latex) that do.

PostScript is a restrictive output mechanism for a lot of manufacturers, when they can just write a generic driver with a data set that any RIP can communicate with. Also, most indoor printers are used for poster output, where there is a relatively small output data stream. most large format printers for sign work are printing magnitudes larger pieces of data that would compromise an inter PS handler.

Is it possible to have a solvent printer that has a built in PS handler? yes, but it'd be stupid and only work with a handful of design software packages, or it would have to have its own output program that the design program would have to output to, which is what a RIP is anyway.

MrTopgun21

Thank for your help....

Thanks everyone, you've given me great replies. I know all RIP's are differently suited for different tasks. I'm going to be looking for one that will output vector layouts as well as handle high-end high-res. photography really well. Can you recommend a RIP product that would work well with those requirements? Or maybe the answer is "all of them"? :)
Thank you.