• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print white on clear vinyl

m303625

Hi I have been anon browsing this forum for years and have finally joined
the info discussed here has proven to be invaluable to me.
I have been maintaining my sp300 and running third party inks for over 2 yrs now!
I still run colorrip as my machine predates the release of versaworks
I can set to print spot colors in other words use only one print head color,
so this got me thinking about printing white! now white roland ink is available!
What I am proposing is having a small 30ml container with white ink attached to the head carriage with tubing to a large damper on the black head, just remove K damper, flush the head and fit white damper (after vigorous shaking)
set for k spot color and print away, my only concern at this point of planning is with the larger particles for the white pigment is that going to be a problem with blockages in the head, manifold or damper??
guess what I really want to know is " on the new machines designed for white or metallic ink are they using dx4 heads or something with larger nozzles?"
any thoughts people?

Colin

I'm no expert on this, but I think that the new SP300i has the old heads. You need the VS model to run the white & metallic inks. I think they use a "5" series head.

artbot

shouldn't be an issue. in fact the jets have been getting smaller over time so there is less a chance of clogging. i've been wanting to do just the thing that you are discussing with my jv3 160sp. yes, it has two white channels. but i'd rather run double cmyk, then when i want alter the black line to run double white at double speed. and the dx4 is fine for white.

the best thing i found to use as a small cart is the gas tanks for rc planes and copters. i ordered a few and messed around with them. haven't done any mods (been slammed with orders).

one thing to remember is that the delicate positive pressure inside of your lines will be hard to replicate over such a short distance. basically moving the cart a single millimeter higher or lower to adjust the siphon will be like moving your printer's carts and inch. it's because of the radius across the distance the ink will travel.

also, always having white in your printer is a pain. so you aren't missing much. it clogs head adapters, dries much "crunchier" than normal ink, can create plaque deposits of pure titanium dioxide. you will go through dampers quickly, before you do it, also stock up on some adapters. it's best to use the white and flush the head, then go back to black. the end. and this whole simultaneous white and color printing is a bit tricky too. it's best to print color. clear prime the ink and go back with the white.

when i finally get mine converted, i plan on mixing spot inks too. i have a recipe for clear solvent varnish already. it's just a matter of adding solvent dyes to the mix. or solvent dyes and more white for purely opaque color with zero metamerism.

m303625

Hi Artbot,
your posts have probably been the most use to me with regards to head maintenance, so a personal thank you from me.
I remember reading a previous post about the formula for cleaning solution, if you see this can you please advise again, I went looking for the chemicals but was unable to source the B******* ?
also back to original post, the line pressures did not occur to me, but isn't that taken care of by the dampers? I simply assumed a gravity feed system would work? the only time the syphon problem would only occur with the head parked on cap and the pressure difference would cause the problem? but while printing should be ok?
thanks in advance
Mike

jiarby

I just got a call from a custy that wanted me to print white onto black matte card stock. I sent him to a screen printer.

Mainframe

I think I would be more inclined to outsource a white print job as opposed to cannibalizing a perfectly good machine.

Last edited:

artbot

thanks,,, as far as line pressure, i've got a couple auxiliary carts mounted on the outside of the printer. the shelf they sit has a height control. if i raise the cart a bit i get more pressure, lower, a bit less. the pump loads the line in your printer with a certain weight of ink. and then that ink gently sits, balanced to feed into your printer. so keep in mind that you will want to add some kind of height control to the proxy cart.

as far as cleaning solution i use 4 parts butyl cellosolve 1 part acetone. there's a guy on the yahoo board i saw recently with a 3 parts butyl cellosolve, 1 part butyl carbitol,
2 parts acetone. sounds good to maybe/probably better?

and as far as cannibalizing printers, i've been tearing these things apart for years. i was printing white with my own home made white ink with an encad 505 ten years ago. and i've built a fantastic business with proprietary techniques that no other print shop can match (digi-glass, digi-etch, and digi-boss). now my square foot retail is between $250-$500. so do tear it apart. think out of the box. and have fun.

Colin

I've got to hand it to you artbot, I wish I possessed the knowledge you have on printers - heck, I don't even own one yet (but soon), I guess it just seems precarious to jump in and start noodling with such a complex machine. Good on ya for being a pioneer!

artbot

...thanks @colin. but you have to factor in a bankruptcy 8 years a go and a divorce because my ex' was convinced that i was a mad scientist and not a business man. and i wouldn't blame her. the house is still half full of failed and successful coating machines and such, chords everywhere. currently erecting a 1200sq ft tent just outside my back door and pole barning a roof between two shipping containers for an etching/plating set up. i like it ugly i guess. very fight club.