• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printable Magnetic material any good?

SameDay Signs

Had a customer come in and place an order for 24 sets of 12" x 24" magnetic full color. I went to order in the magnetic and print 3651 as usual and apply but I was wondering your opinions on the printable magnetic.

It would be nice to print directly and just trim instead of printing vinyl and them having to apply. Being I've never used it before though I was wondering if any of you have and how it worked let alone how it will go through my Mimaki.

thanks

SARTampaBay

We tried it years ago when we first got our Mimaki. We didn't like thinner mag required for the printer and quickly returned to psv applied to our regular .030 magnetic material. No print issues, however.

Malkin

I tried it in our Roland, also did not like the .020. Had to watch it like a hawk for tunneling/headstrikes and I found the print quality to be pretty poor.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Had a customer come in and place an order for 24 sets of 12" x 24" magnetic full color. I went to order in the magnetic and print 3651 as usual and apply but I was wondering your opinions on the printable magnetic.

It would be nice to print directly and just trim instead of printing vinyl and them having to apply. Being I've never used it before though I was wondering if any of you have and how it worked let alone how it will go through my Mimaki.

thanks

Tried printable magnetic media once. It's one of those things that sounds good but doesn't work out quite as well as it sounds.

Thickness of the media was not a problem, neither was its magnetic properties. The entire feed path on my printer(s) is either plastic, aluminum, or stainless. There's nothing with any magnetic properties in the path of the media. Moreover, the magnetic field of the media is very weak and affects nothing.

The biggest problem is that the media is incredibly heavy. It's difficult to load it into the printer but the biggest problem is that the weight affects the printer's media feed mechanism. It simply wasn't designed to accurately feed anything this heavy. You end up with prints that run at least 10% short because the printer cannot move the magnetic media properly. It's really hard to compensate for a loss of 1" in 10". In other words, a print that's supposed to be 10" long would be only 9".

It's far easier and just as fast to print on vinyl and apply to the magnetic media than to have to deal with the problems of trying to print directly onto it.

J

john1

Just print some long vinyl sheets with crop marks, apply to mag, trim and round the corners. No biggie.

You could send it to Signs365.

I'd love to get a huge magnetic order like that.