• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printable Translucent Vinyl

Oska

I want to know what your preferred choices on printable translucent vinyls are. Maybe you can also give me a little bit of a story on why you chose your product that way yo do?

I am looking into making a sign that will be lit from the back during the night but will not have the lights on during the day.

I'm just curious to see what people are using out there.

Thanks!

J Hill Designs

I use hexis translucent, just cause I use hexis for some other printable media...

I prefer a print on translucent applied first surface, with a reverse print on clear applied second surface...looks great in the day and doesnt wash out at night

WrapperX

We use Oracals Printable Translucent - it was recomended to us by another sign shop that does alot of back lits. Solvent printable - then we usually laminate with a Luster.

MikePro

We used to print on 3M's cast 3630-20, but at less cost we now use Oracal's calendared 3850 with great success.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
OraCal 3850 and/or direct reverse on our flatbed to clear substrate backed up with sign white modified acrylic.

MontereySigns

+ 1 more for Oracal's 3850 translucent. We print on this one time (single strike), laminate with Oracal's 290 matte, and mount first surface to translucent white Lexan (never plexiglass). Then, so it looks good at night, we'll reverse print onto good quality clear laminating film and mount this second surface aligning it with the graphic on top. This looks great day and night. More work, more money, but done right.

-Bud

Malkin

Does trans white vinyl on white lexan allow enough light through?

So far we have been printing on clear (using the first surface + second surface technique), but I think that the trans white vinyl would give a better white point and hold more ink.
Any reason not to make the switch?

WrapperX

We've never had any complaints using White Translucent - The white backed lexan works as a diffuser to even out the light. so far its worked out great!

J Hill Designs

yeah trans on white lexan is fine...the reverse on clear sub-surface greatly helps with saturation at night, and doesnt affect the daytime look...

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I will bet anything my Translucent Vinyl will work better then all the above products and my vinyl is only $0.25 a sq.ft. There are some guys in here that use it that will tell you it works great.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I would say the white translucent cuts back the brightness maybe 20% to 30% when printing to it. This translates out to not a big deal in colored areas, but your white areas will look a little duller than pure sign white substrates. Something you don't have when direct printing with a flatbed.

J Hill Designs

I know this is an old thread but could someone please explain the first surface, second surface method?

1st surface print (face of acrylic/polycarb) -- regular density print on translucent material (so it looks correct in the daytime)
2nd surface print (reverse side of acrylic/polycarb) -- regular density mirrored print on clear (so that it bumps color density when backlit and looks correct/not washed out at night)