• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printable Vinyl

Charlie Bucket

Hello, Can anyone please recommend a very good printable vinyl that will adhere to a drinking glass? I need one that will not come off in the wash. Thank you!

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
General Formulations 220.
I have put this material through the tests.
Going on two years on a coffee mug, ink is fading but vinyl is still adhered to the mug.
Un laminated

karst41

You need Low surface energy adhesive for glass. (LES)
Low Cost is 3m IJ39

Dish washer is going to be the same prcedure as a High Temp Pressure wash
that is used to remove graphics on large fleets. ie 2x 53' Trailer removed per day.

StickerGuy83

I've put a decal on one of my coffee mugs at home, which always goes through the dishwasher. It was printed on General Formulations Concept 220. I couldn't even count how many times its been through the dishwasher. No signs of coming off at all. The layer of adhesive thickness I don't know off hand, but I do know it is an acrylic based PSA that is permanent. So I would assume most acrylic based adhesives will bond well to glass. This may vary between different brands.

gnubler

Is there a consensus to dishwasher safe vinyl decals? I'm going with "no" at this point. Customer wanted to put clear decals on quart glass bottles that have to go in the bottom rack of a dishwasher. Have tried two different vendors who state the decal as being dishwasher safe, but they've both failed after one wash, as in the adhesive completely failed. I think bottom rack is the big challenge. I don't know the brand of vinyl for my trial decals because it's outsourced, but could probably find out.

Is it best to tell my customer that they need to look into screen printing instead? I don't think decals are the way to go.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Is there a consensus to dishwasher safe vinyl decals? I'm going with "no" at this point. Customer wanted to put clear decals on quart glass bottles that have to go in the bottom rack of a dishwasher. Have tried two different vendors who state the decal as being dishwasher safe, but they've both failed after one wash, as in the adhesive completely failed. I think bottom rack is the big challenge. I don't know the brand of vinyl for my trial decals because it's outsourced, but could probably find out.

Is it best to tell my customer that they need to look into screen printing instead? I don't think decals are the way to go.
Yes, I think so. I have not been able to find any vinyl that sticks. I do quite a few glasses but it's usually just a couple or a small number with a name or something. I tell them hand wash only. My son had a cup with some calendared vinyl. We put it in the dishwasher and I think there's one or two letters left after a year. Like RJ was saying, stencil with the etching stuff works good or screen print.

unclebun

Sticker Mule can make any claim they want to catch a sale. They don't have to worry about repeat customers. That's not their business model.

gnubler

No hard feelings against the Mule. They gave me a 100% credit for the order and let my customer keep the non-dishwasher safe stickers. I told my customer they need to look for a screen printer.