• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printed 680 Reflectivity

So I am working on a new fire truck for a customer. We had the side and rear reflective striping done at the factory so it could be delivered NFPA compliant, and I am adding the gold leaf lettering and striping. I saw the truck for the first time today, and immediately noticed a problem. Our specifications for the truck called for a 9” 680CR 085 Black stripe with two 1” 680CR 064 Gold stripes, one overlayed .5” from each edge. They instead printed the black and gold onto one 9” piece of IJ680CR. Anyone who has been around any time at all knows you can’t print black onto white reflective and retain any kind of reflectivity, let alone enough to meet NFPA standards. But the manufacturer is arguing with me saying it meets standards and if I shine a light on the black it does in fact reflect (wrong, it barely reflects as you would expect printed black to). Does anyone have a link to a chart showing the ASTM reflectivity values for printed colors? I found a chart for the 680CR standard colors, but not printed.

94D58B9A-19BE-4BDF-ADE3-F3081014033F.jpeg

jfiscus

Rap Master
No one "enforces" NFPA standards. Almost half the trucks we do are non-compliant; If they want the graphics that way, and the check clears, no problem. Digitally printed (solvent/latex) reflective striping "should" be able to be classified as compliant, as the side striping is not held to the same standard as the rear Chevron striping is.
I've talked to a couple chiefs at larger cities and heard that the rear issue is the insurance companies; if you are compliant and someone hits the apparatus THEY'RE at fault, if you're not compliant and someone hits it the DEPT is at fault.

FWIW, If the specs called for something other than what was provided then they need to remove and re-stripe. Your specs don't state white at all. These should be laid up striping.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Fire Apparatus Regulations:

At least 50% of the rear vertical surfaces of the apparatus shall be equipped with a minimum of 6" alternating yellow and red chevron retroreflective striping sloping downward and away from the centerline of the vehicle at an angle of 45 degree.

NFPA 1901 Regulation

Fire Truck Rear Markings