Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printed colors have a "too green" cast. HELP?

Discussion in 'Roland' started by threeputt, Feb 14, 2013.

1. threeputt

threeputt Very Active Member

Mar 10, 2006
    washington state
    I run a Roland printer. Ever since I've owned it I've had this same problem. Most colors look okay until I go outside the store with them.

Whoa! Then medium browns look really greenish!

Is there some way to color correct this or is it just a function of the inks and profiles, etc.?

Tags:
  2. rydods

rydods Member

Feb 15, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Are you using Versaworks or some other rip program? Is it just the browns or the greys as well?

3. threeputt

Mar 10, 2006
    washington state
    I'm using VW 4.0.

Greys also tend toward greenish, but it's not as large a problem.

Right now I'm color correcting within VW itself and re-checking colors.

Does the Roland just have "bias" toward green? I thought that I'd read that somewhere on this forum, but the search feature didn't turn it up.

4. rydods

rydods Member

Feb 15, 2007
    Wisconsin
    My guess is it's a profile issue. I had the same problem but more on the redish side when trying to achieve a grey chrome or metal look. I tried different profiles and found one that uses much less magenta to achieve the correct color. I could also be your laminate. If it's just a slight green, I've heard some laminates give the print a slight green tint.

5. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    My prints look a little red inside, then when I go outside they change color to the grays I am looking for. That's a function of the lighting not the printer (which you probably know, but just making sure :smile:)

But my printer (VP540) definitely does not have a green bias. If anything the profiles are a little magenta heavy. I take a lot of the stock profiles and manipulate them for specific materials if I don't have a manufacturer's profile.

6. threeputt

Mar 10, 2006
    washington state

Yeah, I know. But we just spent $4000.00 for color corrected lights all throughout the entire shop.

Frustrating!

7. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    Thanks for letting me know that. We've been considering it, but if you are still seeing the same shifts with it... not spending the money!

8. threeputt

Mar 10, 2006
    washington state
    Stacy, by all means, meet with and get advice, from your own lighting professional. I'm pretty sure the electrical shop that replaced all 32 of our eight foot fixtures (4 long bulbs in each fixture) said these were special "color correcting" tubes.

We now have 64 fixtures with shorter bulbs (four footers).

9. splizaat

splizaat Very Active Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Pac NW
    Our printer does greys and browns with green hue -- We tone the cyan down a few clicks in versaworks and the magenta up one click which usually fixes the issue somewhat...