• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printed colors have a "too green" cast. HELP?

threeputt

I run a Roland printer. Ever since I've owned it I've had this same problem. Most colors look okay until I go outside the store with them.

Whoa! Then medium browns look really greenish!

Is there some way to color correct this or is it just a function of the inks and profiles, etc.?

rydods

Member for quite some time.
Are you using Versaworks or some other rip program? Is it just the browns or the greys as well?

threeputt

I'm using VW 4.0.

Greys also tend toward greenish, but it's not as large a problem.

Right now I'm color correcting within VW itself and re-checking colors.

Does the Roland just have "bias" toward green? I thought that I'd read that somewhere on this forum, but the search feature didn't turn it up.

rydods

Member for quite some time.
My guess is it's a profile issue. I had the same problem but more on the redish side when trying to achieve a grey chrome or metal look. I tried different profiles and found one that uses much less magenta to achieve the correct color. I could also be your laminate. If it's just a slight green, I've heard some laminates give the print a slight green tint.

Bigdawg

Just Me
I'm using VW 4.0.

Greys also tend toward greenish, but it's not as large a problem.

Right now I'm color correcting within VW itself and re-checking colors.

Does the Roland just have "bias" toward green? I thought that I'd read that somewhere on this forum, but the search feature didn't turn it up.

My prints look a little red inside, then when I go outside they change color to the grays I am looking for. That's a function of the lighting not the printer (which you probably know, but just making sure :smile:)

But my printer (VP540) definitely does not have a green bias. If anything the profiles are a little magenta heavy. I take a lot of the stock profiles and manipulate them for specific materials if I don't have a manufacturer's profile.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Yeah, I know. But we just spent $4000.00 for color corrected lights all throughout the entire shop.

Frustrating!

Thanks for letting me know that. We've been considering it, but if you are still seeing the same shifts with it... not spending the money!

threeputt

Stacy, by all means, meet with and get advice, from your own lighting professional. I'm pretty sure the electrical shop that replaced all 32 of our eight foot fixtures (4 long bulbs in each fixture) said these were special "color correcting" tubes.

We now have 64 fixtures with shorter bulbs (four footers).

splizaat

Our printer does greys and browns with green hue -- We tone the cyan down a few clicks in versaworks and the magenta up one click which usually fixes the issue somewhat...