• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printed Vinyl on HDU?

SignProPlus-Chip

Is primer and paint enough to properly seal off the cells of HDU prior to vinyl application?

I have seen a lot of signs where the edges of graphics pucker up in short time. I would think its due to moister being able to creep in between the vinyl and the texture of the HDU.

I wanted to epoxy or resin coat the HDU first, then sand smooth, prime and paint to ensure a completely non-porous substrate.

Good idea, or overkill?

Any thoughts.

visual800

if I had to do this I would rather mount print on aluminum and affix that to hdu...routed of course. Install with silicone

signguy 55

I have applied vinyl lettering to raised areas of a blasted HDU sign. I just finished coated everything with bulletin enamel and applied the vinyl lettering as usual. I really sanded everything smooth before and after primng.

I don't see why a digital print wouldn't work. There will be some texture of the HDU, but shouldn't be noticable.

Did a sign where I used a black outline with gold leaf vinyl, just painted and applied the black vinyl. Worked great.

Typestries

I like visuals idea.......

Here's our experience....If you use a cast vinyl, and properly prep the HDU you should be fine. We produced a number of sets of letters on 1.5 HDU with digital faces that were spe'd to wrap around a round-over profile and onto the return.

They had 4 coats of primer and 3 of one shot. They were for all purposes, super smooth. We printed cast vinyl, used cast lam, and applied after letting the paint really cure. Even a set 1 block from the beach is fine 4 years later.