Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printed Vinyl on HDU?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by SignProPlus-Chip, Oct 4, 2012.

1. SignProPlus-Chip

SignProPlus-Chip Active Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Bluffton, SC
    Is primer and paint enough to properly seal off the cells of HDU prior to vinyl application?

I have seen a lot of signs where the edges of graphics pucker up in short time. I would think its due to moister being able to creep in between the vinyl and the texture of the HDU.

I wanted to epoxy or resin coat the HDU first, then sand smooth, prime and paint to ensure a completely non-porous substrate.

Good idea, or overkill?

Any thoughts.

Tags:
  2. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    if I had to do this I would rather mount print on aluminum and affix that to hdu...routed of course. Install with silicone

3. signguy 55

signguy 55 Member

Sep 28, 2009
    I have applied vinyl lettering to raised areas of a blasted HDU sign. I just finished coated everything with bulletin enamel and applied the vinyl lettering as usual. I really sanded everything smooth before and after primng.

I don't see why a digital print wouldn't work. There will be some texture of the HDU, but shouldn't be noticable.

Did a sign where I used a black outline with gold leaf vinyl, just painted and applied the black vinyl. Worked great.

4. Typestries

Typestries Very Active Member

Jan 8, 2007
    NJ | VT
    I like visuals idea.......

Here's our experience....If you use a cast vinyl, and properly prep the HDU you should be fine. We produced a number of sets of letters on 1.5 HDU with digital faces that were spe'd to wrap around a round-over profile and onto the return.

They had 4 coats of primer and 3 of one shot. They were for all purposes, super smooth. We printed cast vinyl, used cast lam, and applied after letting the paint really cure. Even a set 1 block from the beach is fine 4 years later.