• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printer Advice for phone skins, laptop skins, game consoles, etc

wasim

Hi, im looking for the perfect printer, which can print on IJ 180 controltac, which will be used for printing skins.

However i need a printer which can print a minimum of one skin if it is customised to the spec of the customer.

I have been trying for weeks to look for the right printer, but no avail.

Please help!!

jfiscus

Rap Master
I know a printer that can print a minimum of ZERO!

Any wide format printer will do the trick. Pick one that's got a good deal going on at the time you're buying it & you dhould be fine. Any solvent printer will do the trick; everyone has their favorites but after using a few different brands I am not overly partial to any particular model.

dlpoling

I know a printer that can print a minimum of ZERO!

Any wide format printer will do the trick. Pick one that's got a good deal going on at the time you're buying it & you dhould be fine. Any solvent printer will do the trick; everyone has their favorites but after using a few different brands I am not overly partial to any particular model.

Completely agree most solvent printers will do the trick but unless your printing alot you may wish to just contract the printing out.

CentralSigns

A printer is a printer. Eco-solvent printed material will need to be laminated as the skin oils, of the phone user will negatively impact the ink on the printed and wrapped phone. Not sure how the Gerbers hold up. As for the printing issue the printer will print what ever it's sent. Send one, prints one. Shouldn't be hard to get info call a few printer suppliers and talk to them. They will know the limitation of what they sell. It's kind of a no brainer.

Sticky Signs

What's your budget? How much space do you have? How many one off's can you sell at a price that people want to pay? How big are your on off's?
Roland makes nice stuff.

CheapVehicleWrap

Welcome! If I were to do it on the cheap.. again...the PERFECT printer...I'd go with the Epson MX-80. It's a tractor fed dot matrix but a REAL workhorse. Became the defacto-standard. PLUS you'd save thousands on the rip alone. You can run it 24 hrs. from a smartphone. Basically hit print and go.... all the way to the bank. There's ALLOT of money in these "skins" as you can see. Your research has come up NULL because those making 800k+ a week are reluctant to hand over the secrets. You MUST print on a quality dot matrix printer for the quality and profit as well as the "PERFECT" printer aspect you so desire. One that doesn't need any employees, maintenance or any other costs. You can forgo any lamination (saving you another 7500+) buy selling or installing unlaminated (duh). The quality is there. And the one offs can save the end user too. Simply advertise them as "Cut it yourself and $AVE!) that will save you another 7500+ on a so called "plotter". If I had a few extra in the bank, I'd go for it myself. So, how are you making them now?

Last edited:

heyskull

I had forgot about the MX-80, they don't make peinters like that anymore....LOL

On a more serious note.
We print a few playstation and xbox skins on our VJ1604 and have found people are not prepared to pay for one offs.
Yes they all want them but when they find out they have to pay for your time sourcing or creating artwork they don't want to pay.
The market for these items is drying up already as it was just a faze...

Not only do you have to buy a printer you also have to buy a laminator!
If you think their is a cheap little economical way of manufacturing these items their isn't!
I hope you have a budget in excess of £15,000 for this little hobby of yours!

SC (also in the UK)