• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printer advice

Susan Stewart

We have been using our HP latex 310 for several years and for the entire time have had color consistency issues when printing to canvas. Color calibrations, replacing print heads, changing ICC profiles has done nothing to aid in consistency. We are using Flexiprint Basic as our Rip. I have been told that the fact that our model does not have an on-board spectrophotometer for colorimetric measurement capabilities could be part of our problem. We are looking into a used HP latex 370 that does. My question is twofold, what are your thoughts on upgrading to the 370 and our issues with color consistency and if not another HP latex machine, then what recommendations does everyone have for printing out canvas prints that require color consistency run to run? Our current HP latex 310 utilizes 54” rolls, we could go a little smaller but not much, most of our canvas prints are around 32” x 40”. Thank you

flyplainsdrifta

if color consistency is the main concern, id keep your 310 for non important stuff and perhaps look at something like an epson instead. gamuts a bit bigger and properly profiled, it can hit just about anything. as user of hp latex, its great for non color critical stuff. but theres just certain limitations inherent within the build and process of the printer that can make color consistency a bear to deal with, even with the onboard spectro.

id consider taking a hard look at epson's stuff. get some samples. i dont even have one but just judging off of what ive seen at shows/other shops, its a pretty solid machine.

Susan Stewart

Thanks for your advise. We are planning on keeping the 310 for certain things we print. We are looking to add another printer with better color consistency. We will look into the Epson printers.

We have been using our HP latex 310 for several years and for the entire time have had color consistency issues when printing to canvas. Color calibrations, replacing print heads, changing ICC profiles has done nothing to aid in consistency. We are using Flexiprint Basic as our Rip. I have been told that the fact that our model does not have an on-board spectrophotometer for colorimetric measurement capabilities could be part of our problem. We are looking into a used HP latex 370 that does. My question is twofold, what are your thoughts on upgrading to the 370 and our issues with color consistency and if not another HP latex machine, then what recommendations does everyone have for printing out canvas prints that require color consistency run to run? Our current HP latex 310 utilizes 54” rolls, we could go a little smaller but not much, most of our canvas prints are around 32” x 40”. Thank you

Conversation sent

HP Latex canvas prints should be considered decor art rather than fine art. Art canvas that is hung in homes and hotel rooms are more often the former, and if it hangs in a museum or gallery, is more likely the latter.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
HP Latex canvas prints should be considered decor art rather than fine art. Art canvas that is hung in homes and hotel rooms are more often the former, and if it hangs in a museum or gallery, is more likely the latter.
"Ouch," an artist might say.

Fine art has traditionally been reproduced on fine art papers and canvas media, using traditional aqueous printer technologies that can utilize as many as 12 ink colors. That is not the market that HP Latex has been built to address.

TomK

Get an Epson and stop looking backwards.

shahidmqamar

Dear its issue with your icc profile.I can make and send icc profile to you without any charges.send me your e.mail or whatsapp.My whatsapp 00923142995943.I maintain and install printers of all sorts, ecosolvent,sublimation and reactive etc.I have flexi version that can create icc and i1pro.have nice day

dypinc

What you need is a way to maintain color consistency using a Spetcro. Get a spectrophotometer if you printer does not have one and a RIP that will allow you to linearize and create profiles. Then you will be able to maintain color consistency by re-linearizing as necessary.