• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printer advise needed

Geoff Vane

Hello I’m Geoff and I’m new here.

I’m researching for an artist to find the ideal printer for a certain proces.

The artist wants to print like the risograph method. But for that in CMYK you would need two riso machines. This would be too big and too expensive. Overkill. Using these riso machines means you can fake the silk screen cmyk method. So what is the plan: design something on the PC. Either draw in C, M, Y and K separately or have work split by photoshop for instance. Then, print paper in overprint by printing each CMYK pass separately. So you would feed the paper four times into the printer. Not print in one go. I am VERY sure I read about doing this with a simple home color printer. I forgot how this is called. Maybe someone knows here?

The printer should have certain characteristics:
1. Preferably it would have an A3 flatbed A3
2. Print size A3 and A4 should both be possible without difficult tricks.
3. The ink quality should be pigment quality and last a lifetime (no dye)
4. The printing system is still a mystery to us: laser or ink-jet? The prints will be rough style. Cost effective is more important than precision but the result must last.
5. The printer must be able to process heavy paper like watercolor paper. Real art paper for traditional media. No special color printing paper if possible!
6. The mechanism and printing material should be able to take multiple passes in overprint. So no clogged heads, smeared drums or other overprinting problems.
7. Even though the printer is forced to print each pass separately, one still could choose for a printer that handles the paper internally with a multi-pass or one-pass mechanism. What is the best choice?
8. The ink should be refilled in the most cost effective way. Separate colors.
9. If the printer must be an inkjet, then please advise us on the right head strategy: heads on the cartridges or a head that stays on the printer. Clogging is a risk for a head in the printer but heads on the cartridge might be very expensive… Refilling heads on the cartridge seems best. Throw them away when they break?

I hope someone can point me to the name of the process and give me advise about good printers.

boxerbay

the "RISO" print is basically a low quality screen print where you see the screen lines in the print. you can emulate that effect in illustrator then print it on a canon IPF9400.

art + RISO = RISO PRINT
art + edit in AI RISO STYLE + ANY PRINTER = RISOish PRINT

jfiscus

Rap Master
I've been printing a while and I can't see why anyone would "desire" a system like this? Are you looking for the "cheapest way possible to print"?
And you ALSO want it to "last a lifetime? Huh?
If you want a printer that can only print "certain color only" in the sign industry you'd be looking for a thermal printer, like a Gerber Edge. Otherwise, you're kinda looking for a inkjet printer that is as cheap as possible. Either way, nothing is going to last "for life".