• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printer cleaning?

Whats good for cleaning the outside of a printer? Like when you have ink fingerprints that dried up etc.
Anyone have any good suggestions?
Thanks

Tried rubbing alcohol but did not work, tried simple green without much luck either. I will try some other things and see what happens.
Thanks everyone!

gabagoo

the cleaning solution works best for me. alcohol does not seem to work well if the ink has been there for some time

InkjetAuction

Green Acetone

My secret cleaner is BioSolv
http://www.greenacetone.com/

You can buy it at West Marine for $18.99 / qt

At full strength it will clean ink from any surface, but will attack plastics. Cut 50% (with water) it still easily wipes away ink, but doesn't seem to attack the plastics/vinyls nearly as much.

Tested on a gloss banner printed w/ECO-SOL MAX ink, a cloth soaked with full strength BioSolv easily cleared the ink, but damaged the gloss finish--leaving it dull. Testing with the 50% water/ 50% biosolv solution I found that the ink still came off without damaging too much of the banner's gloss finish.

I see the insides (and outsides) of 5-10 different printers each week, and this stuff hasn't failed me yet. I use a 40/60 (40% biosolv) solution for the outsides-- I vary the strength as I need it.

...as always, your mileage will vary...

~E

Rooster

I just use the same solvent I use to clean the print head with.

It's the same solvent in the ink. Comes right off.